setting up the default route

Post by Kenneth Webbe » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

A question for all you know it all's out there.

I am running a SUN solaris networked to a cable modem. I was given a
static IP and a subnet. But the default gateway is outside of the subnet
I am in. There for then I run
#route add default x.x.x.x

it says that it can not locate the ip. The only way I have been able to
set the gateway is to change the interface to be Point to Point. When I
do this I can not network with any other computers. Is there a way I can
set the default gateway to an IP outside my subnet?

Please help

Email me at

. com

-Ken

setting up the default route

Post by Whizz » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I am not an expert but what comes to mind is that you should try to set your
default gateway to the machine which is gateway from your subnet.

-Whizzo

>A question for all you know it all's out there.

>I am running a SUN solaris networked to a cable modem. I was given a
>static IP and a subnet. But the default gateway is outside of the subnet
>I am in. There for then I run
>#route add default x.x.x.x

>it says that it can not locate the ip. The only way I have been able to
>set the gateway is to change the interface to be Point to Point. When I
>do this I can not network with any other computers. Is there a way I can
>set the default gateway to an IP outside my subnet?

>Please help

>Email me at

>webk

>. com

>-Ken

setting up the default route

Post by Ron Dille » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Kenneth,

Why not macro-allocate your netmask??

Ron

> A question for all you know it all's out there.

> I am running a SUN solaris networked to a cable modem. I was given a
> static IP and a subnet. But the default gateway is outside of the subnet
> I am in. There for then I run
> #route add default x.x.x.x

> it says that it can not locate the ip. The only way I have been able to
> set the gateway is to change the interface to be Point to Point. When I
> do this I can not network with any other computers. Is there a way I can
> set the default gateway to an IP outside my subnet?

> Please help

> Email me at

> webk

> . com

> -Ken

|   Ron Dilley          Sr. UNIX Network Administrator   |

1. Two interfaces: Set default default route?

OK, I have two interfaces, one slow, one fast.  I want to use the fast
one as the default (obviously), but I need to have the other one
available for some people that can only reach me through that one.
How can I tell the machine to use the fast one by default.  Am I
correct in saying that if I nix the default route for the slow
connection that people from the slow net that are not on the same
subnet would not be able to contact me?

Thanks!

--Dan

2. PPP via USR 56K X2 modem

3. Default Route always sets default interface

4. Adaptec 2910/2920

5. pppd not setting up default route in routing table

6. PS/2 mouse config under Debian 2.2

7. tcp/ip routing question - setting the default route beyond the local router?

8. Reveal CDDrive

9. Best way to set up the default route?

10. diald did not set default route

11. cannot set the default route in a rh9 box

12. how to set default route with tru64?

13. Setting eth0 and default routing for RH5.1