Solaris x86 coexisting with NT/95

Post by Matthew Denn » Sun, 05 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am running a Win95/NT box, with the first partition on the first disk
being my Win95 FAT/active boot partition.  On both of my hard drives,
however, I still have plenty of unpartitioned space.  Therefore:

1. Can I install Solaris x86 to a partition other than the first partition
on my first disk?  If not, can Solaris write it's boot info. to the 1st FAT
partition, and then install the rest of the packages to another partition?
The installation guide says this isn't possible, but the guide assumes that
all space on the disk is taken up.  Would a program like system commander
help me here?

2. I have two hard drives, and I would like to use both for my solaris
installation.  Can I do either of the following?

        1. install Solaris to a stripe set.
        2. create two partitions, and install half the packages to each partition.

3. Does anyone know of a good book on installing Solaris x86?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Matt Denny

Solaris x86 coexisting with NT/95

Post by Andrew Gabri » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am running a Win95/NT box, with the first partition on the first disk
>being my Win95 FAT/active boot partition.  On both of my hard drives,
>however, I still have plenty of unpartitioned space.  Therefore:

>1. Can I install Solaris x86 to a partition other than the first partition
>on my first disk?

Yes.

Quote:>  If not, can Solaris write it's boot info. to the 1st FAT
>partition, and then install the rest of the packages to another partition?
>The installation guide says this isn't possible, but the guide assumes that
>all space on the disk is taken up.

This doesn't make sense. The order of partitions on a drive is not
significant; the one which the BIOS passes control to is the 'active'
partition, and this needs to be one with a multi-boot manager in order
to select multiple operating systems.

The Solaris partition has this functionality, but is restricted in
that it can only choose between operating systems on the same disc
and it cannot be configured or disabled (except it disables itself
if there are no other operating systems in the same disc).

If you want a minimal installation on the BIOS bootable disc,
you can get away with only root on the boot disk, and root only
needs to be 20Mb (30Mb might be safer).

Quote:>  Would a program like system commander help me here?

System Commander is useful if you want to install Solaris entirely
on a disc which is not bootable with the PC's BIOS, i.e. unlike the
Solaris boot manager, it can choose between operating systems on
different discs.

You can also do this using the Solaris installation floppy which is
basically an extension to your PC's BIOS to enable it to boot off
almost anything. However, if you boot often or unattended, you will
not find this very satisfactory.

Quote:

>2. I have two hard drives, and I would like to use both for my solaris
>installation.  Can I do either of the following?

>    1. install Solaris to a stripe set.

Don't know.

Quote:>    2. create two partitions, and install half the packages to each partition.

You don't split by packages, you split by slices (filing systems,
swap space). You want to distribute slices between your two
discs. (BTW, you can only have a single Solaris partition on any
disc.)

You could take a look at:

    http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/solaris/filesystems.html

--

Consultant Software Engineer

Post by Raymond N Shwa » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>I am running a Win95/NT box, with the first partition on the first disk
>being my Win95 FAT/active boot partition.  On both of my hard drives,
>however, I still have plenty of unpartitioned space.  Therefore:
>1. Can I install Solaris x86 to a partition other than the first partition
>on my first disk?  If not, can Solaris write it's boot info. to the 1st FAT
>partition, and then install the rest of the packages to another partition?
>The installation guide says this isn't possible, but the guide assumes that
>all space on the disk is taken up.  Would a program like system commander
>help me here?

        I'installed x86 on both the second and the third partitions on
a home box. Your Windows partition can be FAT (allowing use of Solaris'
own boot selector), or NTFS (supported by other boot selectors, like the
OS-BS I'm so partial to).

Quote:>2. I have two hard drives, and I would like to use both for my solaris
>installation.  Can I do either of the following?
>    1. install Solaris to a stripe set.
>    2. create two partitions, and install half the packages to each partition.

        If by "stripe set" you're talking about installing on a RAID, yes
you can do it. Otherwise I don't know what you're referring to. Yes, one
can install the essentials on the startup drive (root, /stand and -
I believe - swap), with the rest (/usr, /var, /export/home, etc.) on the
second.

1. Linux, NT, 95 coexisting?

Heheh... this looks like a crazy thread seeing who can run the most
operating systems on the one machine.

Anyway... I have installed both slack and redhat installtions, and lilo
works fine with dos7 (win 95 which is evil, and will soon die on my
machine as I never use it anyway).

Never tried loadlin... however I wouldn't fuss with it personally, Lilo
was easy to setup.

The newer kernels 2.1.x have a nice developments for PnP and Win 95 extra
fat partitions... so I am sure even more in the future than now Win 95
will coexist nicely with Linux... works fine for me now :)
ENough said by me

        Real Name : Phillip Parker

        Home Page : http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/~pparker

2. seyon speeds?

3. How do I implement sublogins in anonymous FTP?

4. Solaris x86 and Windows 95/NT question

5. problem booting Solaris-x86 with AHA-1520A

6. Solaris x86/NT/95 tri-boot

7. Parts and Accessories

8. X86/NT/95 multiboot

9. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

10. Simple question--Can Solaris x86 2.6 coexist with Windows 95/NT on an IDE hard drive > 2GB?

11. Windows 95 Coexisting with Linux

12. Can Windows 95 coexist with Linux?