New System, PATH's and add-ons

Post by Fred Randal » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 12:56:55

I am learning Solaris on the fly and when I set up a system I typically
choose the bash shell, add several directoris to my path and install various
freeware packages from sunfreeware.com.

Is there a best practices document available for setting up a new system
that covers the basics like the best way to set environment variables, which
tools should be added and what shoulds be in the path of the average user.

Here is what I typically do in detail: when setting up a new system:

I add a user account for myself with the following command:
useradd -m -d /export/home/fred -u 1001 -g 14 -s /bin/bash -c "Fred Randall"
fred

in the new home directory I modify the .profile to add the following lines:

PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
PS1='[\h:$PWD]$'
EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi
export PS1 EDITOR

I then download and install the following packages:

bison
flex
gcc
gzip
lsof
make
sudo
tar
top
ssh

This makes a Solaris 8 system pretty functional for what I am trying to
accomplish.  If I am running Solaris 7, I add Netscape and the Bash shell.
What I would not want to do is take my lessons from home to a new job and
find that what works good at home is not acceptable practice.  I know there
is more than one way to skin a cat but I want to make sure I am following
standard rules.

Thanks in advance for any help

fred

1. ANNOUNCE: New Article on Software Add-ons

I have just posted the article "Architecting Embedded Systems for Add-on
Software" to the Netrino website.  It can be found at the following URL:

        http://www.netrino.com/Articles/AddOnSoftware/

Software upgradability and extensibility are now considered important
features for a wide range of embedded systems, particularly those on a
network.  This may mean anything from a complete replacement of the
memory image to an add-on software module developed by a third party.
This article provides an overview of the key hardware and software design
issues that you must consider to make upgradability and extensibility
possible.

This article was first published in the September 1999 issue of Embedded
Systems Programming.  For more information about the magazine, or to
sign up for a free subscription, please visit:

        http://www.embedded.com/

The Netrino Consultants Network encourages its partners and associates
to share their technical expertise by writing magazine articles and books
and by speaking at industry conferences.  Whenever possible we retain the
right to publish these materials on our website.  An complete index of our
publications can be found at the following URL:

        http://www.netrino.com/Publications/

I hope you will find these resources valuable, and relevant to these
newsgroups.

Sincerely,
           Michael Barr

2. You may now commence the upgrading - it's out

3. Where to buy comm'l Linux add-ons?

4. Q: how to share application memory.

5. Third party vendors for RS/6000 43P add-ons ...

6. File System and ZBR drives

7. Portable Add-ons Ethernet+ PCMCIA driver?

8. 1.6.1 Mac PPC install problems: seg fault

9. Snoop Add-Ons?

10. zsh's 'typeset -U path' wipes out path/PATH

11. Need USED 860 / 8260 development board plus add-ons

12. modules, add-ons or plugins programming

13. Advice on getting more experience with Add-ons