Backup Request: Alphatronics/Legato Networker stories ..

Backup Request: Alphatronics/Legato Networker stories ..

Post by Eric C » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: says...
: >
: >Any praise or horror stories for Legato Networker?
: >
: >To me it seems kinda slow, and a proprietary backup format doesn't sound
: >that wonderful ..
: >
: I'm currently backing up roughly 70Gb of data using Networker NT Server
: and Networker clients on Unix and NT machines.  It's working just fine.

: In fact, my problem is that my SCSI card in my NT server isn't fast enough
: to handle Networker's throughput!

: If you think Networker's slow perhaps you and I could go over your config.
: Are you using client-side compression?  What kind of network do you have?
: Is your network fast enough to handle the load Networker will put on it?

We're using Networker on a Novell server backing up 10 Gb of RAID space.
We are also using Networker with a 50Gb jukebox backing up our UNIX machines.

We _SHOULD_ be able to use to Jukebox to backup everything BUT
can't get it to work.

Legato DOES kill you network bandwidth but if you are doing
backups at night why should you really care?

Legato TECH SUPPORT is LEGENDARY in how bad it is...

IMHO
HTH,

email for specific questions,

eric

Post by Greg Wooledge x59 » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Any praise or horror stories for Legato Networker?
>To me it seems kinda slow, and a proprietary backup format doesn't sound
>that wonderful ..

If you're backing up multiple systems across a network, there's no
better product as far as I'm aware.  That's assuming it works right.
We've got Legato on a Sequent, a DG/UX AViiON, a Sparc 10, and a couple
HP 9000s, and they all do a great job.

If it *doesn't* work right, then their tech support team is completely
understaffed and you'll be lucky to get the necessary service.  At the
moment, I've got MAJOR problems with Legato NetWorker on a Sparc 20
running Solaris 2.5.  It just refuses to run, and Legato hasn't been
able to resolve the problem after several weeks....

As far as speed, you'll be limited by the speed of the network and/or
tape drive more so than anything else.

The proprietary format makes it suitable only for secondary backups
(user files, applications, whatever), not disaster-recovery operating
system backups, which will typically need to be done using
vendor-specific means (SCO boot/root diskettes, AIX mksysb, whatever).

There's a substantial learning curve for Legato administration, but
once you learn their terminology, you'll find it to be a powerful
tool.

--

UNIX Technical Support                  (216) 586-5932
British Petroleum                       FAX (216) 586-2044

"The views expressed in this note are those of the individual concerned and
should not necessarily be taken as being the views of The British Petroleum
Company p.l.c. or any of the BP Group of companies."