UNIX Domain Datagram Sockets - Receive Queue Size?

UNIX Domain Datagram Sockets - Receive Queue Size?

Post by Bill Wes » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 01:27:42

What, exactly, controls the incoming message space allocated for UNIX
Domain (AF_UNIX) Sockets that are operated using Datagrams?

I have an application that makes it appear that senders get EAGAIN when
roughly 37 Datagrams have accumulated at a receiver. The Socket Buffer
Size setting does not seem to be the controlling factor - it seems that
no matter
how large or small the Datagrams, the receiver's Socket Input Queue
becomes 'full' (sender gets EAGAIN) when there are about 37 Datagrams
waiting to be read? Going by 'bytes-of-space' there should be room for
more than 300 Datagrams?

Anybody have any clues? This is on SunOS (Solaris) 5.6 on an ULTRASparc
II SMP with two CPUs.

UNIX Domain Datagram Sockets - Receive Queue Size?

Post by Joe Blogg » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 06:59:38

ndd probably controls it.

See the Solaris tunables document, at

Enc=iso-8859-1&DwebQuery=/etc/system&oqt=/etc/system

Quote:> What, exactly, controls the incoming message space allocated for UNIX
> Domain (AF_UNIX) Sockets that are operated using Datagrams?

> I have an application that makes it appear that senders get EAGAIN when
> roughly 37 Datagrams have accumulated at a receiver. The Socket Buffer
> Size setting does not seem to be the controlling factor - it seems that
> no matter
> how large or small the Datagrams, the receiver's Socket Input Queue
> becomes 'full' (sender gets EAGAIN) when there are about 37 Datagrams
> waiting to be read? Going by 'bytes-of-space' there should be room for
> more than 300 Datagrams?

> Anybody have any clues? This is on SunOS (Solaris) 5.6 on an ULTRASparc
> II SMP with two CPUs.

1. UNIX Domain Datagram Socket:Receive Queue Size?

What, exactly, controls the incoming message space allocated for UNIX
Domain (AF_UNIX) Sockets that are operated using Datagrams?

I have an application that makes it appear that senders get EAGAIN when
roughly 37 Datagrams have accumulated at a receiver. The Socket Buffer
Size setting does not seem to be the controlling factor - it seems that
no matter how large or small the Datagrams, the receiver's Socket Input
Queue becomes 'full' (sender gets EAGAIN) when there are about 37
Datagrams waiting to be read? Going by 'bytes-of-space' there should be
room for more than 300 Datagrams?

Anybody have any clues? This is on SunOS (Solaris) 2.6 (uname -a 5.6) on

an ULTRASparc II SMP with two CPUs.

2. /dev/mouse

3. Not enough queuing of datagrams on a unix domain socket

4. CDRW INSTALL

5. Solaris 2.5 x86 is there an educational price???

6. UNIX domain datagram sockets

7. Help with piping

8. UNIX domain Socket Datagram question

9. DATAGRAM sockets in the UNIX DOMAIN.

10. Datagram sockets in Unix Domain?

11. Are unix domain socket datagrams reliable?

12. credentials from Unix-domain datagram socket?