Metrics Software

Post by Stua » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:11:49

My company is trying to revise our metrics.  We have stats in a MySQL
database and some flat files (text files in CSV format.)  I am looking
for a decent graphics package that can read from MySQL & flat files
and that runs on Solaris.  We want to be able to generate graphs and
charts for our management in real-time.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Metrics Software

Post by Paul Watso » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:55:21

Check out rrdtool, you'll get the URL on google search - I can
never remember it.  We use rrdtool as a basis for our database
monitoring, ie we just use the libraries, but you can use it without
a lot of coding.

--
Paul Watson             #
Oninit Ltd              # Growing old is mandatory

Metrics Software

Post by Scott Miccich » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:01:36

BMC Patrol is a good product, HP makes Glance Plus/Measureware.  Adrian
*roft mentions several in the Sun Performance and Tuning (Porsche
book) book.

--

I have never understood the female capacity to avoid a direct answer to
any question.

Metrics Software

I can't comment about HP but BMC Patrol can be very resouce hungry

Post by David Masterso » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:35:57

Quote:>>>>> Stuart  writes:
> My company is trying to revise our metrics.  We have stats in a
> MySQL database and some flat files (text files in CSV format.)  I am
> looking for a decent graphics package that can read from MySQL &
> flat files and that runs on Solaris.  We want to be able to generate
> graphs and charts for our management in real-time.  Any suggestions?

If the data is not too complicated, it probably wouldn't be hard to
generate an HTML web-page with a graph using the Perl graphing package
(what is it called -- libGraph?).  Of course, you'll have to get the
data from your MySQL database, but I think MySQL has a Perl
interface.

--
David Masterson                dmaster AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.

1. UC Berkeley Short Courses on Software Testing, Metrics & OODBMS

U.C. Berkeley
Continuing Education in Engineering
Announces 4 Short Courses in
Advanced Software Engineering

SOFTWARE TESTING (April 25-27, 1994)

This intensive three-day course covers both the current industrial practices
and advanced technologies available to successfully implement and sustain
an improved software testing program.  The advanced software testing
technologies discussed are intended to encourage the planning of future
enhancements to software test programs.

Lecturers: Warren Harrison, Ph.D., Paul W. Oman, Ph.D., Mark Wiley

SOFTWARE METRICS (May 9-10, 1994)

Measurement is an essential part of improving the software development
process.  Measurement facilitates the objective characterization and
baselining of an organizations current software assets, as well as providing
a method to characterize its evolution and improvement.  This course
covers both the theoretical foundations of measurement and software
metrics, as well as their application to improve and characterize the
software development process.

Lecturers: Gene Miluk, M.S., Warren Harrison, Ph.D.

OBJECT-ORIENTED SOFTWARE ENGINEERING (May 2-6, 1994)

Object-oriented design and programming methods offer great potential
benefits in terms of the reusability, interoperability, maintainability, and
extensibility of software.  To maximize these benefits designers and
organizations must be prepared to address more far reaching decisions
than simply which programming language to use.  This five day course is
designed to provide and understanding of object-oriented concepts and
technology, and how implementation will impact software development in
your organization, including:  problem definition and system analysis,
design configuration management, testing, support, database selection, and
project management.

Lecturer:  Edward V. Berard, President Berard Software Engineering Inc.

OBJECT-ORIENTED DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS (May
9-13, 1994)

This course provides a solid grounding in object-oriented database
fundamentals, familiarity with current commercial systems and advanced
prototypes, and exposure to the most important research and development
trends in the area.

Lecturers: Stanley Zdonik, Ph.D., David Maier, Ph.D., Michael Carey,
Ph.D., Gail Mitchell, Ph.D.

For more information (complete course descriptions, outlines, instructor
bios, etc.) contact:

Harvey Stern
U.C. Berkeley Extension/Southbay
800 El Camino Real Ste. 150
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Tel: (415) 323-8141
Fax: (415) 323-1438

2. What SysAdmins Know: U Washington Survey

3. Software metrics

4. inetd problems ... RIP perfmeter

5. CORRECTION: New software metric analysis tool (URL was wrong)

6. Escape sequences to redefine function keys

7. Software Metrics Best Practices

8. Utility class cannot see HttpServletRequest class in Tomcat 4.0 ?

9. New software metric analysis tool

10. Software for gathering page load-time metrics?

11. I/O metrics per process.

12. Virtual Hosting and metrics

13. System Admin Metrics (human)