Filemanager Problem ???

Post by Deane R. Charls » Sun, 12 Jun 1994 05:50:54

Folks,

I just finished installing SOLARIS 2.3 and I created some user accounts.
The problem I have is root can use filemanager but none of the users can.
My users keep getting a "mknod: permission denied" message.  What did I do
wrong ???
Please reply to address below.  THANKS!

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center         Phone: (301) 286-5952
Greenbelt, MD 20771                      Fax: (301) 286-1750

Filemanager Problem ???

Post by Alexander Dauenstein » Wed, 15 Jun 1994 01:32:37

: Folks,

: I just finished installing SOLARIS 2.3 and I created some user accounts.
: The problem I have is root can use filemanager but none of the users can.
: My users keep getting a "mknod: permission denied" message.  What did I do
: wrong ???
: Please reply to address below.  THANKS!

: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center         Phone: (301) 286-5952
: Greenbelt, MD 20771                      Fax: (301) 286-1750

Hi
You did nothing wrong. It's not a feature it's a bug.
you need patch #101514.
I got the info from the FAQ
you get the patch(es) from: thor.ece.uc.edu:/pub/sun-faq ...

Filemanager Problem ???

Post by Output Servic » Thu, 16 Jun 1994 09:37:20

Quote:>Folks,

>I just finished installing SOLARIS 2.3 and I created some user accounts.
>The problem I have is root can use filemanager but none of the users can.
>My users keep getting a "mknod: permission denied" message.  What did I do
>wrong ???
>Please reply to address below.  THANKS!

It took us a while to track this one down.  There appears to be a bug in
fm.  When started, it creates a dir /tmp/.removable/ if it doesn't exist,
or uses the existing one.  The problem comes in when it exists, but is
not world writable (which is the default when fm first creates it).

In other words, whoever runs fm first after the machine boots will own
the file, and only their fm will work.  We fixed the problem by having
root 'chmod a+rwx /tmp/.removable' after every boot.

Marty

1. "Invalid Folder Specification.." Filemanager problem

Hi.
I can't start file manager or any of the config tools that use
filemanager. I get some errors like:
"Error while reading /"
"File Manager Open Directory Error: Invalid folder specification (path)"
What have I done? Can it be fixed?
I'm running TRU64 V5.1 on a DEC ALPHA 600a
Managed to upgrade from ver 4 but that didn't solve the filemanager
problem.

T.I.A
//Brutus

2. Next steps?

3. Solaris OpenWindows 3 FileManager Problem - Lost Folders - On Bad Rename

4. Problem to compile Apache with mod_perl und PHP4 on AIX 5L

5. redhat linux filemanager problem

6. 2.4.19-rc1 still has one issue with Intel D845GBV motherboard

7. Solaris OpenWindows 3 FileManager Problem - Lost Folders - On Bad Rename

8. JOB - San Francisco - Director, Database Engineering

9. problem with filemanager in solaris 2.3

10. filemanagers

11. filemanager for gnome

12. Workplace 1.0.a3 - a Gtk based filemanager.

13. FileManager for AIX