Newbie Question for Sol7/x86 and GCC

Post by Joe Herreshof » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'm attempting to get a development environment up and running on my
Solaris 7/Intel box, but am a bit new to all this and am having
difficulties. I've installed both the gcc2.8.1 and the libstc++-2.8.1.1
packages. I've attached a complete list of my currently installed
packages to this message.

When I try to compile, something, say for example ssh, I get feedback
like this when running ./configure scripts:

creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i386-unknown-solaris2.7
checking target system type... i386-unknown-solaris2.7
checking build system type... i386-unknown-solaris2.7
checking cached information... ok
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

My question is this: what additional packages do I need to download and
install? Where can I find the packages I need?

Attached is a list of installed packages generated by pkginfo. Thanks in
advance for any/all help.
-joe

application ALghosts       ghostscript
application BMvim          vim
application CZtcsh         tcsh
application DLexpect       expect
application GNUbash        bash
application GNUemacs       emacs
application GNUflex        flex
application GNUgcc         gcc
application GNUgdb         gdb
application GNUgzip        gzip
application GNUlstdc       libstdc++
application GNUmake        make
application GRpython       python
application LWperl         perl
system      NCRos86r       NCR Platform Support, OS Functionality (Root)
application SLtcl          tcl
application SUNWAxg        Solaris XGL 3.3 AnswerBook
application SUNWaadm       Solaris 7 System Administrator Collection
system      SUNWab2m       Solaris Documentation Server Lookup
system      SUNWab2r       Solaris Documentation Server
system      SUNWab2s       Solaris Documentation Server
system      SUNWab2u       Solaris Documentation Server
application SUNWabe        Solaris 7 User Collection
application SUNWabsdk      Solaris 7 Software Developer Collection
system      SUNWadmap      System administration applications
system      SUNWadmc       System administration core libraries
system      SUNWadmfw      System & Network Administration Framework
system      SUNWadmr       System & Network Administration Root
application SUNWakcs       KCMS Collection
application SUNWaman       Solaris 7 Reference Manual Collection
system      SUNWatfsr      AutoFS, (Root)
system      SUNWatfsu      AutoFS, (Usr)
system      SUNWaudio      Audio applications
system      SUNWcar        Core Architecture, (Root)
system      SUNWcsd        Core Solaris Devices
system      SUNWcsl        Core Solaris, (Shared Libs)
system      SUNWcsr        Core Solaris, (Root)
system      SUNWcsu        Core Solaris, (Usr)
CTL         SUNWctpls      Portable layout services for Complex Text Layout support
system      SUNWdfb        Dumb Frame Buffer Device Drivers (deprecated)

system      SUNWdoc        Documentation Tools
application SUNWdtad       Solaris Common Desktop Environment Developer Collection
system      SUNWdtbas      CDE application basic runtime environment
system      SUNWdtcor      Solaris Desktop /usr/dt filesystem anchor
system      SUNWdtdmn      CDE daemons
system      SUNWdtdst      CDE Desktop Applications
system      SUNWdtdte      Solaris Desktop Login Environment
system      SUNWdtezt      Solaris Desktop Extensions Applications
system      SUNWdthe       CDE HELP RUNTIME
system      SUNWdthev      CDE HELP VOLUMES
system      SUNWdthez      Desktop Power Pack Help Volumes
system      SUNWdthj       HotJava Browser for Solaris
system      SUNWdticn      CDE icons
system      SUNWdtim       Solaris CDE Image Viewer
system      SUNWdtlog      System boot for Desktop Login
system      SUNWdtrme      CDE Release Documentation
system      SUNWdtwm       CDE DESKTOP WINDOW MANAGER
application SUNWdws        German prodreg 2.0  localizable text resources
system      SUNWenise      Base Partial Locales
system      SUNWesu        Extended System Utilities
system      SUNWeuise      European Partial Locales
application SUNWews        Spanish prodreg 2.0  localizable text resources
system      SUNWfdl        Font Downloader
system      SUNWfns        Federated Naming System
system      SUNWftpr       FTP Server, (Root)
system      SUNWftpu       FTP Server, (Usr)
application SUNWfws        French prodreg 2.0  localizable text resources
system      SUNWgss        GSSAPI V2
system      SUNWgssdh      GSS Diffie-Hellman
system      SUNWgssk       kernel GSSAPI V2
system      SUNWi15rf      X11 ISO-8859-15 required fonts
application SUNWinab       Solaris 7 Installation Collection
system      SUNWinst       Install Software
system      SUNWipc        Interprocess Communications
system      SUNWislcc      XSH4 conversion for Eastern European locales
system      SUNWisolc      XSH4 conversion for ISO Latin character sets
application SUNWiws        Italian prodreg 2.0  localizable text resources
system      SUNWjvjit      Java JIT compiler
system      SUNWjvrt       JavaVM run time environment
system      SUNWkey        Keyboard configuration tables
system      SUNWkvm        Core Architecture, (Kvm)
system      SUNWlibC       Sun Workshop Compilers Bundled libC
system      SUNWlibCf      SunSoft WorkShop Bundled libC (cfront version)
system      SUNWlibms      Sun WorkShop Bundled shared libm
system      SUNWloc        System Localization
system      SUNWlpmsg      LP Alerts
system      SUNWman        On-Line Manual Pages
system      SUNWmfrun      Motif RunTime Kit
system      SUNWmibii      Solstice Enterprise Agents 1.0.3 SNMP daemon
system      SUNWnisr       Network Information System, (Root)
system      SUNWnisu       Network Information System, (Usr)
system      SUNWntpr       NTP, (Root)
system      SUNWntpu       NTP, (Usr)
system      SUNWolaud      OPEN LOOK Audio applications
system      SUNWolbk       OpenWindows online handbooks
system      SUNWoldcv      OPEN LOOK document and help viewer applications
system      SUNWoldst      OPEN LOOK deskset tools
system      SUNWoldte      OPEN LOOK Desktop Environment
system      SUNWolimt      OPEN LOOK imagetool
system      SUNWolrte      OPEN LOOK toolkits runtime environment
application SUNWopen       OpenBoot Collection
system      SUNWos86r      Platform Support, OS Functionality (Root)
system      SUNWos86u      Platform Support, OS Functionality (Usr)
system      SUNWowrqd      OpenWindows required core package
system      SUNWpcelx      3COM EtherLink III PCMCIA Ethernet Driver
system      SUNWpcmci      PCMCIA Card Services, (Root)
system      SUNWpcmcu      PCMCIA Card Services, (Usr)
system      SUNWpcmem      PCMCIA memory card driver
system      SUNWpcr        SunSoft Print - Client, (root)
system      SUNWpcser      PCMCIA serial card driver
system      SUNWpcu        SunSoft Print - Client, (usr)
system      SUNWploc       Partial Locales
system      SUNWploc1      Supplementary Partial Locales
system      SUNWplow       Openwindows Partial Locales
system      SUNWpmi        OpenWindows VESA PMI files
system      SUNWpmowr      Power Management OW Utilities, (Root)
system      SUNWpmowu      Power Management OW Utilities, (Usr)
system      SUNWpmr        Power Management config file and rc script
system      SUNWpmu        Power Management binaries
system      SUNWpsdcr      Platform Support, Bus-independent Device Drivers (Root)
system      SUNWpsder      Platform Support, EISA Bus Device Drivers, (Root)
system      SUNWpsdir      Platform Support, ISA Bus Device Drivers, (Root)
system      SUNWpsdmr      Platform Support, MicroChannel Adapter Device Drivers (Root)
system      SUNWpsdpr      PCMCIA ATA card driver
system      SUNWpsf        PostScript filters - (Usr)
system      SUNWpsr        SunSoft Print - LP Server, (root)
system      SUNWpsu        SunSoft Print - LP Server, (usr)
system      SUNWrdm        On-Line Open Issues ReadMe
system      SUNWrsg        RPCSEC_GSS
system      SUNWrsgk       kernel RPCSEC_GSS
system      SUNWsacom      Solstice Enterprise Agents 1.0.3 files for root file system
system      SUNWsadmi      Solstice Enterprise Agents 1.0.3 Desktop Management Interface
system      SUNWsasnm      Solstice Enterprise Agents 1.0.3 Simple Network Management Protocol
system      SUNWscplp      SunSoft Print - Source Compatibility, (Usr)
system      SUNWscpr       Source Compatibility, (Root)
system      SUNWscpu       Source Compatibility, (Usr)
system      SUNWsndmr      Sendmail root
system      SUNWsndmu      Sendmail user
system      SUNWsolnm      Solaris Naming Enabler
system      SUNWspl        Spell Checking Engine - Base Release (English)
system      SUNWsprot      Solaris Bundled tools
system      SUNWsregu      Solaris User Registration
system      SUNWswmt       Install and Patch Utilities
application SUNWsws        Swedish prodreg 2.0  localizable text resources
system      SUNWtltk       ToolTalk runtime
system      SUNWtoo        Programming Tools
system      SUNWuiu8       Iconv modules for UTF-8 Locale
system      SUNWvolg       Volume Management Graphical User Interface
system      SUNWvolr       Volume Management, (Root)
system      SUNWvolu       Volume Management, (Usr)
system      SUNWws         Solaris Product Registry & Web Start install support
system      SUNWxcu4       XCU4 Utilities
application SUNWxgldg      XGL Generic Loadable Libraries
application SUNWxgler      XGL English Localization
application SUNWxglft      XGL Stroke Fonts
application SUNWxglrt      XGL Runtime Environment

read more »

Newbie Question for Sol7/x86 and GCC

Post by Rob Fishe » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm attempting to get a development environment up and running on my
> Solaris 7/Intel box, but am a bit new to all this and am having
> difficulties. I've installed both the gcc2.8.1 and the
> libstc++-2.8.1.1 packages.
> When I try to compile, something, say for example ssh, I get feedback
> like this when running ./configure scripts:
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables.

My guess is that your PATH doesn't contain /usr/local/bin (or wherever
gcc and friends' binaries are installed.)
It may also not contain /usr/ccs/bin, which is where ld and make and so
on live. If you're using the Korn shell (and if not why not?!) do

$ export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:$PATH

and hopefully everything will be happy. If you put this command in
/etc/profile or ~/.profile then the path will be set correctly every
time you log in.

BTW, it probably wouldn't hurt to get gnu make and gnu binutils
installed.

Rob

Post by Joe Herreshof » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > I'm attempting to get a development environment up and running on my
> > Solaris 7/Intel box, but am a bit new to all this and am having
> > difficulties. I've installed both the gcc2.8.1 and the
> > libstc++-2.8.1.1 packages.

> > When I try to compile, something, say for example ssh, I get feedback
> > like this when running ./configure scripts:

> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g ) works... no
> > configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> > cannot create executables.

> My guess is that your PATH doesn't contain /usr/local/bin (or wherever
> gcc and friends' binaries are installed.)
> It may also not contain /usr/ccs/bin, which is where ld and make and so
> on live. If you're using the Korn shell (and if not why not?!) do

Rob,
Thanks for the tip, but it's not a problem with my path, at least not from
what I can tell. Although I get these errors when running ./configure, I
am able to run gcc, ld, make, etc. from that same command line. So the
path is correct (And it includes /usr/local/bin and /usr/ccs/bin)...

You'll notice that the output from configure scripts seems to make sense:
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

It *does* find gcc, but it cannot make it work.

One of the problems I realized I had was that as wasn't installed by
default. I installed that package though. I suspect there are other
packages that I still need to install but have yet to install, and that's
what may be causing the problem. Do you have any other suggestions? My
original post contained a list of my packages generated by pkginfo.
Thanks,
-joe

Newbie Question for Sol7/x86 and GCC

Post by Joe Herreshof » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Another potential problem... I wrote a simple "Hello World" application to
test out gcc. Unfortunately, I realize now that my sytem doesn't have the
header files. For example "find / -name stdio.h" returns no results...

Where do I get these libraries? I suspect this is one of the packages that
didn't get installed, as I expressed my concern about previously.
-joe

> > I'm attempting to get a development environment up and running on my
> > Solaris 7/Intel box, but am a bit new to all this and am having
> > difficulties. I've installed both the gcc2.8.1 and the
> > libstc++-2.8.1.1 packages.

> > When I try to compile, something, say for example ssh, I get feedback
> > like this when running ./configure scripts:

> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g ) works... no
> > configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> > cannot create executables.

> My guess is that your PATH doesn't contain /usr/local/bin (or wherever
> gcc and friends' binaries are installed.)
> It may also not contain /usr/ccs/bin, which is where ld and make and so
> on live. If you're using the Korn shell (and if not why not?!) do

> $ export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:$PATH

> and hopefully everything will be happy. If you put this command in
> /etc/profile or ~/.profile then the path will be set correctly every
> time you log in.

> BTW, it probably wouldn't hurt to get gnu make and gnu binutils
> installed.

> Rob

Newbie Question for Sol7/x86 and GCC

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sun, 21 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Another potential problem... I wrote a simple "Hello World" application to
>test out gcc. Unfortunately, I realize now that my sytem doesn't have the
>header files. For example "find / -name stdio.h" returns no results...

>Where do I get these libraries? I suspect this is one of the packages that
>didn't get installed, as I expressed my concern about previously.

You should have done a developer install.

Header files are package SUNWhea

Put your installation CD into the drive...
pkgadd -d /cdrom/sol_7_x86/s1/Solaris_2.7/Product SUNWhea

My guess is you'll find other things necessary things not
installed too, such as one or more of...
    SUNWtoo SUNWbtool SUNWsprot SUNWarc
... and probably others too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Newbie Question for Sol7/x86 and GCC

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sun, 21 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Another potential problem... I wrote a simple "Hello World" application to
>test out gcc. Unfortunately, I realize now that my sytem doesn't have the
>header files. For example "find / -name stdio.h" returns no results...
>Where do I get these libraries? I suspect this is one of the packages that
>didn't get installed, as I expressed my concern about previously.

/usr/include/stdio.h is in package SUNWhea
system      SUNWhea        SunOS Header Files

The solaris FAQ says:

6.2) Which packages do I need to install to support a C compiler?

    Solaris ships with everything you need, with the exception of the
    compiler itself.  Solaris ships with the include files, make, an
    assembler, linker and libraries.  All this stuff lives in
    /usr/ccs/bin (add it to your PATH before /usr/ucb if that's in your
    PATH as well) /usr/ccs/lib and /usr/include.

    If you still can't find it, make sure you have the following
    packages installed on your system:

        for tools (sccs, lex, yacc, make, nm, truss, ld, as):
            SUNWbtool, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo
        for libraries & headers:
            SUNWhea, SUNWarc, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms
            SUNWdfbh, SUNWcg6h, SUNWxwinc, SUNWolinc,
            SUNWxglh
        for 64 bit development:
            SUNWarcx, SUNWbtoox, SUNWdplx, SUNWscpux, SUNWsprox,
            SUNWtoox
        for ucb compat:
            SUNWsra, SUNWsrh

    These packages are all on the Solaris 2.x CDs, except that some
    packages may only exist in some releases and not in others.
    Some packages may be on separate CDs, such as the "Desktop/CDE"
    CD, but all are part of the Solaris "bundle".

    --- end of excerpt from the FAQ

Questions marked with a * or + have been changed or added since
the FAQ was last posted

The most recently posted version of the FAQ is available from
<http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/>
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Newbie: printing under sol7 x86

Hello,

I need some information on printing on a Epson Stylus Color 300 printer.
I believe this is a non-postscript printer.

Does anyone know how to (or point me to an answer) do this.

PS Star Office 5.1 is great for opening and editing MS Word, Excell,
etc.. documents. And it's free!

2. File conversion possible in batch?

3. Boot Floppy - Reinstallation Question (Sol7 x86)

4. New 3D Solaris/XWindows game: BattleBall v1.1

5. Help: Boot error "File not found" sol7 x86

6. ATI XL Bus mouse...Not working

7. x86 sol7 CDE just stopped working??

8. Traffic Anaylizer

9. Sol7 x86, xfree86 server dies: no free VT

10. Compile VNC on Sol7/x86

11. modem connetction on sol7 x86

12. ppp not working with sol7 x86

13. driver: drv_usectohz() broken? (sol7 x86)