solaris 2.6 x86 install probs

Post by Philip Bro » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>The install gets to the point of letting me know that it's the Solaris Boot
>Sector and informs me that it's loading, "/solaris/boot.bin."  Then it
>switches to saying, "Executing /solaris/boot.bin," and it kicks the machine
>into a reboot.      I let it run through 5 or 6 boot loops before I killed it,
>just to make sure it wasn't a goofy solaris thing.

>Funny thing is, the boot disk that shipped with the 5/98 release works just
>fine (just has drivers that don't support my hardware).

>Has anyone else run into this problem?  Fixes?  Comments?

Well, I'm not using x86 right now, but the obvious solution I would try,
would be to make a copy of the new DU3 disk, then copy the boot.bin from the
5/98 disk onto it.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

1. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

I was going to use this hard drive to move large files from my
Ultra to my Pentium PC for CD-R backup, but upon "boot -r" on
the Ultra I saw an error about "invalid geometry" on sd3, the
drive I had formatted on my PC to be ufs.  And now of course
I can't even "prtvtoc" this disk ("Unable to read Disk geometry"),
so mounting it is seemingly out of the question.

What's the problem?  Was I naive to assume the a ufs on a Solaris
system would be the same regardless of CPU type?  I really don't
want to use Ethernet to transmit potentially gigabytes of data
on a regular basis :-(...

Please reply via email (and post here, of course), as I don't
get a chance to keep up with the newsgroup as regularly as I
would wish.  Thanks.

Mark J. Kaufman             Sun Microsystems, San Diego

2. fep or ile for Linux?

3. Solaris x86 2.6 + Wangtek 5525 probs

4. GCOS

5. Solaris x86 2.6 Booting probs

6. UDP ports 1, 65535

7. Video card & System Commander probs. w/ Solaris 2.6 x86

8. sdivcc ??????

9. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

10. Solaris 2.6 Fixes year 2K probs; does Linux suffer the same probs

11. HELP: How to install SOlaris 2.6 x86

12. Help for installing Solaris 2.6 (X86)

13. How to install Netscape Communicator 4.06 on Sun Solaris 2.6 x86