Netscape Java plugin and 16-bit colour depth

Netscape Java plugin and 16-bit colour depth

Post by Add » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi, odd as it may seem, I run RedHat 6.0 (XFree 3.3.3) as my desktop
OS, but run my Netscape 4.61 browser on a Solaris 2.6 box. [I find the
Solaris one more reliable)

Anyway, I was hoping to try out the java 1.2 plugin to see if I could
get the JIT going but whenever I try to use it I get an error message
from the JRE on Solaris saying:

java.lang.InternalError: Unsupported 16-bit depth

This is probably a JRE restriction but it does seem rather limiting.
Is there anyway to workaround this ? I don't even know what depth it
requires ??

Cheers,
Addy.

Netscape Java plugin and 16-bit colour depth

Post by Roland Main » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi !

----

> Hi, odd as it may seem, I run RedHat 6.0 (XFree 3.3.3) as my desktop
> OS, but run my Netscape 4.61 browser on a Solaris 2.6 box. [I find the
> Solaris one more reliable)

> Anyway, I was hoping to try out the java 1.2 plugin to see if I could
> get the JIT going but whenever I try to use it I get an error message
> from the JRE on Solaris saying:

> java.lang.InternalError: Unsupported 16-bit depth

> This is probably a JRE restriction but it does seem rather limiting.
> Is there anyway to workaround this ? I don't even know what depth it
> requires ??

AFAIK the JRE only supports 8-bit (256 colors, indexed) and the
24-bit (truecolor) visuals...
((Maybe 15-bit will work (because each of the R,G,B-guns has the same
bitcount; 16-bit has R=5,G=6,B=5)...))

----

Bye,
Roland

--
  __ .  . __
 (o.\ \/ /.o) Roland Mainz                               C/JAVA programmer

 (;O/ \/ \O;) TEL +49 (0) 641/99-13193  FAX +49 (0) 641/99-41359

1. Netscape when in 16 bit color terminates when it comes across a page with java

Hi,

 I was wondering if anyone has come across this situtation.

I am running at 800x600 16.7 million colors. I will be using Netscape with no
problem, but when I come across a page that has java.

Netscape will just quit.. I have to restart it.. If I come across another page
with java, it will terminate.. The thing is that even if I disable java, it
will still terminate. It looks like the animated gifs do the same thing.

If I switch to 800x600 256 colors, everything will work fine... I can see all
the pages with no problem...

Maybe somebody has come across this situation..

Thanks,

Mike

2. RPMS

3. Has ANYONE Gotten 16-bit Color Depth with STB Lightspeed VL?

4. Simple LKM & copy_from_user question (followup)

5. Java/16-bit color

6. Motif 1.2

7. How to set up 16 bit color depth

8. PROBLEM: Oops while modprobe and possible memory leak...

9. Strange Graphic Overlaps in 16,32 bit color depths

10. [Fwd: Re: Problem with colors using 16 bit depth in X11]

11. Problem with colors using 16 bit depth in X11

12. TVGA8900 and 16 Bit Color Depth

13. How do I increase color depth from 8bit to 16/24 bit?