Newbie question

Post by Ray » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

I'm new to Solaris and KDE interface used on the Sunray stations. How do you
setup KVT terminal session .profile (ksh) entries such as stty erase, set -o
vi, and command line variables?

Thanks in advance..

Ray

Newbie question

Post by Andy » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm new to Solaris and KDE interface used on the Sunray stations.
> How do you setup KVT terminal session .profile (ksh) entries such
> as stty erase, set -o vi, and command line variables?

I don't know squat about the Sunray stations, but all you have
to do to put this stuff in your .profile (or /etc/profile)
1. vi .profile
2. SHIFT-G
3. o (thats a letter o, not a zero)
4. type 'set -o vi<return>'
5. type 'stty erase ^V^H<return>
the ^V is CONTROL-V, the ^H is CONTROL-H
6. ESC
7. ZZ

Of course, anyone logging in with sh will *on the set statement.

--
-Andy M
http://www.veryComputer.com/~andy

Before you buy.

Newbie question

Post by Ray » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for your reply. I have added those statement but they don't work
until I su - myusername. It's like the .profile is not read.

> > I'm new to Solaris and KDE interface used on the Sunray stations.
> > How do you setup KVT terminal session .profile (ksh) entries such
> > as stty erase, set -o vi, and command line variables?

> I don't know squat about the Sunray stations, but all you have
> to do to put this stuff in your .profile (or /etc/profile)
> 1. vi .profile
> 2. SHIFT-G
> 3. o (thats a letter o, not a zero)
> 4. type 'set -o vi<return>'
> 5. type 'stty erase ^V^H<return>
> the ^V is CONTROL-V, the ^H is CONTROL-H
> 6. ESC
> 7. ZZ

> Of course, anyone logging in with sh will *on the set statement.

> --
> -Andy M
> http://www.veryComputer.com/~andy

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

Sorry, I'm not a pc idiot, just completely new to linux. I lurked here
for a day or two and didn't see the answer.

Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

Someone told me it was possible, but in the 4 days of having RedHat on
my system I can't figure it out...

Sorry for the dumb question.

Nick
--

Nick Smeltzer CNE

2. Newbie in linux...modem

3. linux newbie--newbie question follows

4. /var/mail BOGUS files

5. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

6. Hard Drive Probs: Maxtor:Conner Combo,Vergy Strange!!!!!!!!

7. NEWBIE.. Extremely Newbie questions.

8. Highpoint HPT372N not supported by 2.4.20?

9. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

10. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

11. Netscape configuration question; newbie question.

12. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)

13. Newbie Question - Supported Hardware Question.