need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

Post by strolle » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:32:48

hi, i had this running on my solaris 8 box (with the help of a
consultant) but things seemed to have changed with solaris 10. can
anyone walk me through how to set this up on solaris 10?

thx!

need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

Post by Sand » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 02:20:34

Hello,
I hope do you know about SMF in Solaris 10 1/06
first things, there are no conf files for DNS installed by default. You
have to create them like named.conf and zone files, etc.

to check if DNS is enabled or not use command
#svcs *dns*
to enable the service
svcadm enable /network/dns/server:default

If you don't know about these commands, I suggest reading Solaris
blueprints on SMF (service management facility).

need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

Post by strolle » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 06:31:16

hi, i know something about this but i'm confused on a couple of points

1) where is the global list of services available to me?

2) how do i know which services are managed by this and which by the
old /etc/init.d mechanism?
    eg: apache seems to be controlled by the old way, but when i try to
enable it i get the message "svcs" Pattern 'enable' doesn't match any
instances

also, when i tried the command you mentioned  "svcadm enable
/network/dns/server:default" and i run "svcs | grep dns" it just comes
back with:

online         13:37:03 svc:/network/dns/client:default
offline        14:16:00 svc:/network/dns/server:default

i can't get the dns server to enable at all, maybe this isn't properly
setup (i copied over all my named and zone files from my solaris 8
machine). is there a way to tell?

thx for your help!

need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

Post by Gary Mill » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 06:46:05

Quote:>1) where is the global list of services available to me?

`svcs -a' will give you that.

Quote:>2) how do i know which services are managed by this and which by the
>old /etc/init.d mechanism?
>    eg: apache seems to be controlled by the old way, but when i try to
>enable it i get the message "svcs" Pattern 'enable' doesn't match any
>instances

You use `svcadm' to enable services.  `svcs -a' will tell you that
apache uses the old way, but apache2 uses the new way.

Quote:>also, when i tried the command you mentioned  "svcadm enable
>/network/dns/server:default" and i run "svcs | grep dns" it just comes
>back with:
>online         13:37:03 svc:/network/dns/client:default
>offline        14:16:00 svc:/network/dns/server:default

`svcs -l /network/dns/server' will tell you why it's offline.
It also shows you the log file where you can get more details.

Quote:>i can't get the dns server to enable at all, maybe this isn't properly
>setup (i copied over all my named and zone files from my solaris 8
>machine). is there a way to tell?

It looks for /etc/named.conf.  Errors will appear in the log files.

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

Post by strolle » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 06:58:37

hi, thx again for getting back to me. i tried your suggestion and got

# svcs -l /network/dns/server
fmri         svc:/network/dns/server:default
enabled      true
state        offline
next_state   none
state_time   Sun Apr 23 14:16:00 2006
restarter    svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
dependency   require_all/none file://localhost/etc/named.conf (online)
dependency   require_all/none svc:/system/filesystem/minimal (online)
dependency   require_any/error svc:/network/loopback (online)
dependency   optional_all/error svc:/milestone/network (online)

the logfile wasn't mentioned there at all and nothing shows up in
/var/log/msg

and again, i can't seem to get this to enable.. any clues?

thx again!

need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

Post by Amfur Kilne » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:02:17

Quote:

> hi, thx again for getting back to me. i tried your suggestion and got

> # svcs -l /network/dns/server
> fmri         svc:/network/dns/server:default
> enabled      true
> state        offline
> next_state   none
> state_time   Sun Apr 23 14:16:00 2006
> restarter    svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
> dependency   require_all/none file://localhost/etc/named.conf (online)
> dependency   require_all/none svc:/system/filesystem/minimal (online)
> dependency   require_any/error svc:/network/loopback (online)
> dependency   optional_all/error svc:/milestone/network (online)

> the logfile wasn't mentioned there at all and nothing shows up in
> /var/log/msg

> and again, i can't seem to get this to enable.. any clues?

> thx again!

Try svcs -xv /network/dns/server

The -xv is to "show reason for state", -v is verbose

need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

Post by Amfur Kilne » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:18:25

Quote:

> hi, thx again for getting back to me. i tried your suggestion and got

> # svcs -l /network/dns/server
> fmri         svc:/network/dns/server:default
> enabled      true
> state        offline
> next_state   none
> state_time   Sun Apr 23 14:16:00 2006
> restarter    svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
> dependency   require_all/none file://localhost/etc/named.conf (online)
> dependency   require_all/none svc:/system/filesystem/minimal (online)
> dependency   require_any/error svc:/network/loopback (online)
> dependency   optional_all/error svc:/milestone/network (online)

> the logfile wasn't mentioned there at all and nothing shows up in
> /var/log/msg

> and again, i can't seem to get this to enable.. any clues?

Also, you might try running named from the command line...

    named -g

The -g sends errors to stderr, so if it's unhappy, it should tell you why.

need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

Post by strolle » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:24:51

well named -g worked great, but svcs -x returned:

# svcs -xv /network/dns/server
svc:/network/dns/server:default (?)
 State: offline since Sun Apr 23 17:10:54 2006
Reason: Unknown.
   See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-AR
   See: man -M /usr/man -s 1M named
Impact: This service is not running.

any clues?

thx

need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

Post by Amfur Kilne » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:56:08

Quote:> well named -g worked great, but svcs -x returned:

> # svcs -xv /network/dns/server
> svc:/network/dns/server:default (?)
> State: offline since Sun Apr 23 17:10:54 2006
> Reason: Unknown.
>   See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-AR
>   See: man -M /usr/man -s 1M named
> Impact: This service is not running.

> any clues?

Nothing in /var/svc/log/network-dns-server\:default.log ...?
Nothing in /var/adm/messages....?

Then I'm all out of ideas!  Sorry.

need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

Post by strolle » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 06:28:48

i think i figured it out..

to start the dns server i was trying  svcadm -restart and svcadm -start
but these had no effect.

i tried svcadm disable and then svcadm enable and it came up
successfully

so svcadm doesn't behave the same as the old init.d scripts..

anyways, thx very much for your help!!

1. Why do UMTS-links provide DNS Server 10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14?

Hello guys!

I'm searching around the net for some hours to find out the reason why
many people (including me) receive 10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14 as the
DNS Server for UMTS links.

A friend of mine told me, that this is the default, hard coded into the
UMTS device (in my case sierra wireless c885), which it replies in case
it does not receive DNS information from the ISP.

According to his theory, the device plays the end for the ppp-link
and Linux' pppd only talks to the device directly.

Does anyone else have a clue about this and can point me to some
documentation providing more in detail about that issue?

Sincerly,

Nico

--
Think about Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).
http://nico.schottelius.org/documentations/foss/the-term-foss/

PGP: BFE4 C736 ABE5 406F 8F42  F7CF B8BE F92A 9885 188C

2. signals question

3. Solaris 10 and DNS server starting during boot

4. Install via FTP thru PPP

5. need help setting up backup DNS server and FTP on SunOS

6. --sndconfig help please--

7. need help setting up DNS backup server on SunOS

8. Wanted: XJIG in a.out format

9. mysql problem setting up SIP server on Solaris 10.

10. UPS for Ultra 10 server

11. Is it possible to downgrade a Solaris 10 machine to Solaris 9?

12. Setting Up a Sol 2.3 machine as secondary DNS server (with NIS+)

13. patches for solaris 10? do I need 10?