Question: How to change color depth (number of colors) on Solaris 8?

Question: How to change color depth (number of colors) on Solaris 8?

Post by Matt Seneca » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:33:11

Can anyone tell me how to change the color depth (to 8,16,24 bit, etc) on a
Solaris 8 system? Thanks in advance!

Post by Kevin Henr » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:10:01

> Can anyone tell me how to change the color depth (to 8,16,24 bit, etc) on a
> Solaris 8 system? Thanks in advance!

man m64config

Question: How to change color depth (number of colors) on Solaris 8?

Post by Vadim V. Kouevd » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:25:20

It really depends on hardware. I would go this way:

1. abdep3:vkouevda $ fbconfig -list
   Device-Filename              Specific Config Program
   ---------------              -----------------------
   /dev/fbs/m640                SUNWm64_config

   To find out which framebuffer I have.

2. abdep3:vkouevda $ m64config -res \?

   To list all supported configurations.

3. abdep3:vkouevda $ m64config ...

   To set that one which I like.

--

Bear Stearns       Engineering Task Force       ITG UNIX

> Can anyone tell me how to change the color depth (to 8,16,24 bit, etc) on a
> Solaris 8 system? Thanks in advance!

Question: How to change color depth (number of colors) on Solaris 8?

Post by Ron » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:01:05

this is the correct answer... how to change color depth on sun
hardware is very much specific to the framebuffer you have...

figure out which kind of frame buffer (tgx,cgsix,elite,creator,whatever) and
then
ask your question again....

Ron!

Post by Dennis Grevenstei » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:08:05

> figure out which kind of frame buffer (tgx,cgsix,elite,creator,whatever) and
> then
> ask your question again....

Better yet: find out what type of framebuffer you have
and read the Sun framebuffer FAQ.

Dennis

Question: How to change color depth (number of colors) on Solaris 8?

Post by 442 » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:29:36

If you are using CDE window manager, add following line to
/usr/dt/config/Xservers file
and need reboot (or) restart window manager

  -dev /dev/fb  defdepth 24    (/dev/fb means graphic device name)

The last line seems to

-dev /dev/fb defdepth 24

> this is the correct answer... how to change color depth on sun
> hardware is very much specific to the framebuffer you have...

> figure out which kind of frame buffer (tgx,cgsix,elite,creator,whatever) and
> then
> ask your question again....

> Ron!

> > It really depends on hardware. I would go this way:

> > 1. abdep3:vkouevda $ fbconfig -list
> >    Device-Filename              Specific Config Program
> >    ---------------              -----------------------
> >    /dev/fbs/m640                SUNWm64_config

> >    To find out which framebuffer I have.

> > 2. abdep3:vkouevda $ m64config -res \?

> >    To list all supported configurations.

> > 3. abdep3:vkouevda $ m64config ...

> >    To set that one which I like.

> > --

> > Bear Stearns       Engineering Task Force       ITG UNIX

> > > Can anyone tell me how to change the color depth (to 8,16,24 bit, etc)
> on a
> > > Solaris 8 system? Thanks in advance!

 Yeongho Yang                   Phone: +82-431-270-4424

1. Change color depth for xdm/KDE on Solaris??

I'm running KDE on Solaris 7. I've installed it as a user since I am not
root.

In the end of .dtprofile, I put SESSIONTYPE=xdm, and then started KDE
with startkde in my .xsessions file. This way I run KDE instead of CDE
from the dtlogin.

The proble now is that KDE is in 8 bit. I want to change the depth to
24. One way I read is to change the Xservers file so that it reads:

:0 local /usr/openwin/bin/X -bpp 24

but since I'm not root, I cannot edit the Xservers file nor the
xdm-config file. I can pass a config file to xdm with -config
<config_file>, but I do not know how what calls xdm.

Is there anyway I can change the color depth of xdm??

2. Adaptec PCI SCSI 2940

3. How can I change colors depth and X server resolution under Solaris 7

4. Linux/m68k Registration Site

5. The question of changing color depth

6. [rms@ai.mit.edu: Please don't spread pre-test releases]

7. NewbieQ: color and color depth

8. Addresing scheme

9. Colour/color depth

10. Solaris 2.5.1 / CDE display question: color depth

11. Colors Colors Colors...

12. Changing default color depth.

13. Changing color depth and resolution