moving root disk to a new disk

Post by Jonathan Mag » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to move a root disk on our Enterprise 4000 to a new disk. I
moved all the files with cpio and used installboot to make sure there
was a boot sector on the new disk. But when I try to boot off the new
disk I get a kernel panic. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

thanks,
jem.
--

                   |         Assigned black helicopter is a must.

moving root disk to a new disk

Post by guba.. » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello Jonathan,

I assume that you brought the system into single user mode before you
ran cpio and you did a boot -r, right? I personally would use
ufsdump/ufsrestore.
Have you checked /etc? If your new root partition doesn't have the same
device name you must fix some configuration files in /ect.

Regards
Bernhard

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Nellie Le » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Hello Jonathan,

> I assume that you brought the system into single user mode before you
> ran cpio and you did a boot -r, right? I personally would use
> ufsdump/ufsrestore.

and brought it down to the boot prom and issued a probe-scsi-all or
probe-ide-all to see if it actually detected the new boot disk.  Then if
the new boot disk is on another controller create an alias for the physical
path to the new boot disk and tried booting off
the new alias.  If successful change the boot-device variable to boot to
the new alias.

Quote:

> Have you checked /etc? If your new root partition doesn't have the same
> device name you must fix some configuration files in /ect.

/etc/vfstab is a definite file to check

--
Nellie Lee
Systems Administrator

1. Moved root filesystem to new disk....now what?

After a bit of help from this group, I was able to successfully copy
over my root filesystem over to a new drive partition.

I did this by booting off the RedHat 7.2 CD and going to linux rescue
mode.

My original root filesystem existed on /dev/hda1 and I wanted it to
reside on /dev/hdb1

So, without either drive mounted, I did....

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1

This was successful, but since the new partition was larger than the
old one, my filesystem didn't take up the entire partition.

I fixed this by doing "resize2fs /dev/hdb1"

This seemed successful and "df ." with the drive mounted reported the
correct size on /dev/hdb1.

I changed /etc/grub.conf to reflect that root now resided on
/dev/hdb1.

However, mount still reports.....

/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw)

I know from the filesystem size that I'm actually running on
/dev/hdb1, but I can't figure out how to make it show /dev/hdb1
instead of /dev/hda1.....what did I do wrong?

-Michael

2. Problem with Fdisk after linux setup

3. Moving root disk to new hard drive

4. Compaq Localbus VGA Xconfig

5. Moving the root directory to a new disk

6. Changing Refresh Rates....

7. Adding new hard disk and Moving root partition

8. newbie... need help w/ install Solaris for x86

9. what different between boot disk, root disk and emergency disk???

10. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.

11. root disk file system type and nfs server from boot/root disks.

12. Move of AIX on 2GB disk to 4GB disk ?