problem with whoami

Post by qm04.. » Sat, 21 Jan 1995 20:28:14

Problem with whoami on Sun OS 4.1.3.

   We are currently having a problem with whoami returning "root"
after an su - username -c /some/script if this command is
executed from a script using "root"'s crontab.  If the
script is executed by "root" from a command line whoami
returns "username".  Any help with this problem is greatly
appreciated.

                      Dave

System Administrator
Guidant     B  ma.me.   366449

problem with whoami

Post by Keit » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 02:36:20

Quote:

>Problem with whoami on Sun OS 4.1.3.

>   We are currently having a problem with whoami returning "root"
>after an su - username -c /some/script if this command is
>executed from a script using "root"'s crontab.  If the
>script is executed by "root" from a command line whoami
>returns "username".  Any help with this problem is greatly
>appreciated.

Dave,

crontab does have some strange results i've noticed. Why not run the job
as a users cron tab and use setuid to  get around permission problems.

Keith

1. Problem with whoami, finger in 0.99pl9

Ok, I think I fixed the finger problem....I chmod'd it to 2755 and
that seems to have done the trick.  I tried the same thing on whoami, though,
and it didn't work--still will only find the username if the initial
login was done as root, or the user is su'd to root.

Anyone have any clue on this?

--
Jeff Uphoff -- "Uppie"     |  "The secret to good teaching is sincerity.  As

2. Linux Daemon problem

3. Strange WHOAMI Problem

4. umount versus iprune

5. whoami and passwd problem

6. EROFF User?

7. whoami problem

8. PCI 2940 Card causes HD to stop

9. whoami ? ID Problems

10. bootparam whoami

11. question about bootparams, hostconfig, whoami protocol, etc.

12. whoami & pwd in comandline?

13. whoami not working