NIS+ Replica Server

Post by cber.. » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi friends:
        Have you successfully installed a NIS+ Replica Server?,
my boss told me it doesn't work at all, "don't try, you'll damage the
NIS+ database, I did"  told me.
        My NIS+ server is working ok, but when something goes
wrong the first thing to damage is the NIS+ database and we loose
all the passwds.
        Any advice, or it is enough to follow the guide.

        Thanks in advance,

        Carlos Bernal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NIS+ Replica Server

Post by Neil W Ricker » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Hi friends:
>    Have you successfully installed a NIS+ Replica Server?,
>my boss told me it doesn't work at all, "don't try, you'll damage the
>NIS+ database, I did"  told me.

Replica servers generally work pretty reliably.  I have never heard
of it damaging the database.  I would not like to be without a
replica.

NIS+ Replica Server

Post by wrightn9.. » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    Have you successfully installed a NIS+ Replica Server?,

Yes. Many times.

Quote:> my boss told me it doesn't work at all, "don't try, you'll damage the
> NIS+ database, I did"  told me.

What exactly did he do?

Quote:>    My NIS+ server is working ok, but when something goes
> wrong the first thing to damage is the NIS+ database and we loose
> all the passwds.

That's what a replica is for! So when your master is hosed, your replica
takes over.

Post by Yousuf Kha » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi friends:
>    Have you successfully installed a NIS+ Replica Server?,
> my boss told me it doesn't work at all, "don't try, you'll damage the
> NIS+ database, I did"  told me.

No, it works, never had it damage the database, but it's entirely
possible that your boss had such a problem in the past. NIS+ was so
bugged up in the past (pretty much still is), that a lot
of "undocumented" features reared their ugly heads many times.

However, one word of warning though. A NIS+ replica server is only good
for load-balancing tasks, but not nearly as good for redundancy tasks.
You must do everything you can to make sure that your NIS+ master's
database never gets hosed, i.e, make sure the thing is mirrored to all
hell. The reason for this is that if you ever lose the master, your
replicas will not be able to ever write to the database, because the
master is the owner of the database, and everything eventually has to
be synced to the master's database. The NIS+ replicas will do a good
job of keeping your NIS+ database up and running in a read-only state,
but it won't allow any writes to the database.

Quote:>    My NIS+ server is working ok, but when something goes
> wrong the first thing to damage is the NIS+ database and we loose
> all the passwds.
>    Any advice, or it is enough to follow the guide.

Keep the master server in a mirror. Adding some cheap Sparcs, or x86
servers to act as replicas will do sufficiently to reduce the load
averages on the NIS+ master server. Reducing the load averages will
likely reduce the liklihood of crashes on the NIS+ server.

     Yousuf Khan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NIS+ Replica Server

Post by Narayana Mahankal » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

It is a good idea to take daily backups of all the nisplus tables. I think
one common mistake that is generally made to loose the passwords is using
'-rf' flags with nisaddent command. If the password file that is used to
update the tables donot contain the encrypted passwords then all your
passwords will be replaced. So use '-r' flag carefully

Narayana.