Chown automatically of newly created files

Chown automatically of newly created files

Post by Roland Siebeli » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I am using a Sparcstation 20 running Solaris 2.4.

I have a web server that is being edited and updated by many different
people. I have sguid on all directories so that all newly created files
will automatically be under the same group, and every group member has
read and write permission.

The problem is that I want the user under which the web server runs to
access all of these files without giving world access to the files. The
obvious solution would be to make this user the owner of the file and to
remove write permission from the owner, but then every new file created on
the server has to be set to the new owner by hand before it can be tested
over the WWW server.

Would it be possible to have all files that are created under this
directory change owner to the WWW server user automatically in the way
that it is done for group permissions, and if yes, how?

I can't seem to find this information in the chmod manual.

Allmansland/De Schutter Digital Media
Priemstraat 53 Rue du Poincon - 1000 Brussels - Belgium
Tel. +32 2 5481700 - Fax +32 2 5481717

Chown automatically of newly created files

Post by Peter McCorma » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am using a Sparcstation 20 running Solaris 2.4.

>I have a web server that is being edited and updated by many different
>people. I have sguid on all directories so that all newly created files
>will automatically be under the same group, and every group member has
>read and write permission.

>The problem is that I want the user under which the web server runs to
>access all of these files without giving world access to the files. The
>obvious solution would be to make this user the owner of the file and to
>remove write permission from the owner, but then every new file created
on
>the server has to be set to the new owner by hand before it can be
tested
>over the WWW server.

>Would it be possible to have all files that are created under this
>directory change owner to the WWW server user automatically in the way
>that it is done for group permissions, and if yes, how?

>I can't seem to find this information in the chmod manual.

>Thanks,

  Upgrade to 2.5.  Set a default access list for the directory with   the
web user id having appropriate access.  This access list will be
propogated to new files.

1. How to automatically chown to last user who modified file?

I was wanting to have 8 users that belong to the same group.

If user1 creates a file then it is owned by user1

However, Is there an easy way that if user2 modifies the

file then user2 would then take ownership of the file.

But this has to be all automatic, without manually using

chown.

I would use this for tracibility to see who last modified

the data!

2. Generate graphs from sar?

3. Value of newly created file descriptors

4. Announcing C-Kermit 7.0 and G-Kermit 1.00

5. NFS issues: errors when reading newly-created files

6. Two newbie questions

7. Req. Help on Find Command to search for modified and newly created files

8. How to activate the 10base2 on a PWS 500a?

9. Jove: save newly created file?

10. How to decide a file is newly created?

11. cd to a newly created directory

12. Moving $HOME etc to newly created partition

13. Ext2/3: noatime ignored for newly created inodes