tcsh

Post by Chad Yoshika » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 05:20:56

any other unix shell have convenient command line editing feature as
tcsh?

since in tcsh,

1) I can press upper arrow to recall my pervious commands
2)  it will automatically send all backspace as delete.
3) when i entered a char wrong in the command, I can press left arrow
to correct the command.

can bash / ksh do these 3 things -OR- for command, I should use tcsh,
and for execute scripts, I should use sh --> since I heard csh has
some real problem for scripting. other than that. it's good.

thanks.

tcsh

Post by Logan Sh » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 06:43:57

>any other unix shell have convenient command line editing feature as
>tcsh?

   :
   :

Quote:>1) I can press upper arrow to recall my pervious commands
>2)  it will automatically send all backspace as delete.
>3) when i entered a char wrong in the command, I can press left arrow
>to correct the command.

bash does all these things.

ksh does none of them, but there are equally-useful substitutes for #1
and #3 (use vi or emacs key sequences) and #2 isn't needed if you just
type one of these two (as appropriate):

        stty erase '^H'
        stty erase '^?'

Hope that helps...

  - Logan
--
"Our grandkids love that we get Roadrunner and digital cable."
(Adverti*t for Time Warner cable TV and internet access, July 2001)

tcsh

zsh also does all three listed.

Post by Philip Bro » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 10:01:05

>>any other unix shell have convenient command line editing feature as
>>tcsh?
>   :
>   :
>>1) I can press upper arrow to recall my pervious commands
>>2)  it will automatically send all backspace as delete.
>>3) when i entered a char wrong in the command, I can press left arrow
>>to correct the command.

>bash does all these things.

>ksh does none of them,

what are you talking about.
ksh does allow arrow-key bindings. groups.google.com

The word of the day is mispergitude

1. /bin/tcsh vs /usr/local/bin/tcsh

I just rebuilt my box because i messesd up alot of the permissions, so this
time,  i made my user account that is member of wheel,  and then changed my
shell to /bin/tcsh instead of /usr/local/bin/tcsh ....  without thinking,  i
logged out,  and logged in as my user,  and ever since i cannot get back to
root...  nor can i change the shell for root....  If anyone has any
suggestions for me ..  (*i am already considering undergoing the 16 hr build
process for the machine again....*)    Please email me at

Vince Koski

Thanks in advance....
--

2. Lucent PCI winmodem and mgetty

3. Solaris2.4/tcsh-6.05/NIS+: `tcsh' with funny terminal output

4. traffic control with htb - so close....

5. #!/bin/tcsh vs. #! /bin/tcsh

6. URGENT: relay problem with sendmail!

7. Configure mail

8. tcsh watch cmd (was Re: conv. zsh <- tcsh)

9. tcsh 'Word too long' problem (tcsh 6.05, HP/UX)

10. Waiting for tcsh login shell to terminate (via tcsh or perl)

11. FAQ for tcsh (where), the better of (tcsh, zsh)

12. Help to find a good book on csh/tcsh to teach myself csh/tcsh script