Screen saver for login window

Post by Michel Piterman » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have an old Sparc 10 running Solaris 2.6.  When the computer is idle with its
login window on, it seems to switch off the video signal.  This makes the
monitor to print a big warning message.  It means that instead of saving the
screen, switching off the video signal burns the screen as a consequence of the
warning message.  Is there any means to run a real screen saver when no one is
logged in?

I thank you in advance for any piece of advice,

                                                                                                                                                        pit

--

Michel Pitermann, Department of Psychology, Queen's University,
Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6

Tel: +1 - 613 - 545 6000 ext 5754      Fax: +1 - 613 - 545 2499

Screen saver for login window

Post by Todd Bai » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

    I was wondering where I could find a good text editor
with syntax highlighting for C, Java, Perl and HTML like
UltraEdit32.

Thanks

--
Todd Bair
Mixed Signal Process Development

Post by Todd M. Wilkins » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>    I was wondering where I could find a good text editor
>with syntax highlighting for C, Java, Perl and HTML like
>UltraEdit32.

>Thanks

        You are likely to start an editor war here with
        this question, but EMACS does have a lot of
        the functionality that you want, with a little
        configuration.

-Todd Wilkinson

Screen saver for login window

Post by i.. » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Nedit from fermilabs  .. and its free

http://www-pat.fnal.gov/nirvana/nedit.html

Screen saver for login window

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>    I was wondering where I could find a good text editor
>with syntax highlighting for C, Java, Perl and HTML like
>UltraEdit32.

I don't know what UltraEdit32 is, but I like Xemacs
(http://www.xemacs.org or included with Sun's compilers if you buy
them).  There are a large variety of other editors out there - I believe
comp.editors has a FAQ or 2 on them.

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

Screen saver for login window

Post by Klaas Albert Tals » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>    I was wondering where I could find a good text editor
>with syntax highlighting for C, Java, Perl and HTML like
>UltraEdit32.

Try Vim work like vi but with GUI and color syntaxing

GRTNX,

Klaas Talsma

Klaas Talsma

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kltalsma/
ICQ: 20190939

The beginning of all wisdom is defining the terms

Post by Adrian Taylo » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: Hi,

:     I was wondering where I could find a good text editor
: with syntax highlighting for C, Java, Perl and HTML like
: UltraEdit32.

Nedit's very good. As is vim (Vi iMproved), especially if you run it as gvim.
(X version)

try:

www.vim.org
ftp.fnal.gov/pub/nedit

Adrian

UNIX Systems Support & Development          Phone  : 01703 595546
Southampton University Computing Services   Fax    : 01703 593939

Post by Thomas L|fgre » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

    >> I was wondering where I could find a good text editor with
    >> syntax highlighting for C, Java, Perl and HTML like
    >> UltraEdit32.

    Todd>    You are likely to start an editor war here with this
    Todd> question, but EMACS does have a lot of the functionality
    Todd> that you want, with a little configuration.

Look at http://www.gnu.org for your closest GNU mirror to download
Emacs from.  It's quite easy to install, and comes with a built-in
manual.

Hth,
Tom
--
Wherever I lay my .emacs, that's my ${HOME}

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>    I was wondering where I could find a good text editor
>>with syntax highlighting for C, Java, Perl and HTML like
>>UltraEdit32.

>    You are likely to start an editor war here with
>    this question, but EMACS does have a lot of
>    the functionality that you want, with a little
>    configuration.

as long as you didn't really want that extra 8-16 megabytes of RAM...

jed has some pretty good features like that, and weights in at under a meg.

ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/jed

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

Screen saver for login window

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Sun, 01 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Nedit from fermilabs  .. and its free

> http://www-pat.fnal.gov/nirvana/nedit.html

One caveat, and it's not meant as a criticism of nedit:
It uses pattern matching to determine what to highlight, not
full C (or presumably any other language) syntax.  This shows
up in that a typedef'd type is not highlighted when used.  That's one
example of what can happen (not that it harms the file contents any).
Because that one example exists, it's just about certain there will
be other situations like it, where the highlighting isn't quite
what you'd expect if you thought it was actually syntax-aware.

For a lot of code, it probably won't happen often enough to be
a bother, although for some code, esp. generated code, it might
be endemic.  I still think it's neat enough that I'm glad I got
and built it, and will probably use nedit as my editor next time
I find the time to code something longer than 100 lines.

--
ftp> get |fortune
377 I/O error: smart remark generator failed

Bogonics: the primary language inside the Beltway

Screen saver for login window

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[Michel Pitermann]

Quote:>   I have an old Sparc 10 running Solaris 2.6.  When the computer is
>   idle with its login window on, it seems to switch off the video
>   signal.  This makes the monitor to print a big warning message.
>   It means that instead of saving the screen, switching off the
>   video signal burns the screen as a consequence of the warning
>   message.  Is there any means to run a real screen saver when no
>   one is logged in?

A different answer, but have you tried the v flag to Xsun?  It may not
do what I think it does, the manual is a bit unclear:

[man Xserver]

Quote:>     v       sets video-off screen-saver preference.

>     -v      sets video-on screen-saver preference.

Kjetil T.

1. screen saver on login screen

Is there a way of setting a screen saver for the login screen?
(redhat 6.2)

thanks

Neil McFadyen, P.Eng.
System Administrator
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario
K1S 5B6
tel: 613-520-2600 ext 5636
fax: 613-520-5715

2. Konqueror: is this failure normal or specific to my system?

3. Screen Saver for GNOME Display Manager Login Screen

4. Your GOD Loves You - YES YOU!

5. Problems with Gnome Screen Saver and XScreen Saver

6. KDE Newbii question

7. How does root login through a user's KDE screen saver??

8. Q:Howto submit a kernel patch

9. xdm login and screen saver ?

10. Screen Savers for ODT 3 w/o X Windows

11. X Window Screen Saver Questions

12. Secret Windows NT Screen Saver < joke >

13. X window screen saver help