solaris 2.5 system mounts an file system on NT server thru NFS

solaris 2.5 system mounts an file system on NT server thru NFS

Post by Yen-yue Pa » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

    we have crossed mounted a file system onto a solaris 2.5 system from
NT server. On the NT server, the particular directory has given full
access privilliges to everyone. However on the SUN host, other users can
only see the information under that file system after "root" browses the
same directory first. It seems that NFS client maintains a cache
locally, when the request fails to hit in the cache it sends the request
to NT server. The NT server, for some reason, does not return the
information when the request is from users other than root. Anybody has
any idea about how I can properly give the privilige to certain users
other than root?

    Thank you all a lot.

-Yenyue Pai

solaris 2.5 system mounts an file system on NT server thru NFS

Post by Yen-yue Pa » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

>     we have crossed mounted a file system onto a solaris 2.5 system from
> NT server. On the NT server, the particular directory has given full
> access privilliges to everyone. However on the SUN host, other users can
> only see the information under that file system after "root" browses the
> same directory first. It seems that NFS client maintains a cache
> locally, when the request fails to hit in the cache it sends the request
> to NT server. The NT server, for some reason, does not return the
> information when the request is from users other than root. Anybody has
> any idea about how I can properly give the privilige to certain users
> other than root?

>     Thank you all a lot.

> -Yenyue Pai

The system version is 2.3. Sorry for the mistake!

1. Mounting (NFS) file system exported from NT Server

I have a problem mounting/using a file system exported from an NT
Server which is using Chameleon NFS for NT, from ANY unix client
machine that I have tried (SUN OS, Solarix, Unixware, etc.).  As the
root user on the Unix (NFS client) platform, I can perform the mount,
but I cannot access any files/directories in the NT Server exported
filesystem.  Apparently (I have been told), the Chameleon software does
not like a Unix root accessing the NT exported filesystem, but I do not
know how to perform a "mount -F nfs ..." on any Unix client platform
without being the root user.

A work-around would be to export a filesystem from the Unix platform,
making the Unix platform the NFS Server and the NT Server machine the
NFS client, but this undesirable for the following reason: the NT
Server machine is scanning documents to the shared filesystem, and if
it is necessary to perform a network transfer for every page scanned
(during the scanning process), this becomes very slow.

I guess, that another question would be, "How do I perform the 'mount
-F nfs ...' from a Unix client without being the root user?".

All help gratefully received,
M.Coyle

2. IPv6 related - Anyone know what this is ???

3. NFS io errors on transfer from system running 2.4 to system running 2.5

4. Linux Network down work with 1000 MBit Switch but with old 100 MBit Switch

5. Mounting NFS file system from NT

6. PROBLEM : AGP don't work for SiS 645DX chipset (Asus P4S533)

7. Solaris 2.5 system file table and file lock info for alerting on thresholds

8. Pre expire password working in telnet not ssh

9. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

10. Mounting Windows NT file systems onto Solaris???

11. NFS and Solaris 2.5 > System performance sucks

12. NFS clients don't follow mount point on server to correct file system device

13. How to make NFS start during system boot-up in Solaris 2.5/X86 ??