vi blanks out, long listing blanks screen

vi blanks out, long listing blanks screen

Post by f.. » Sat, 08 Apr 1995 04:00:00

On the console of a sparc5 solaris 2.3, (and on many terminal sessions),
when using vi, the first screenful of information appears and then
scrolling down makes lines disappear, except for the line the cursor is
on and the last line on the creen.  Scrolling up only reveals the first
lines that appeared on the first screenful.
Similarly, when listing a man page, ls, cat, whatever, any amount of
lines that scrolls past the screen "jumps" to a new blank screen, rather
than scrolling down a line at a time? Is this a know bug, and is there a
way to fix it?
Thanks.

--

http://www.interport.net/~ford/

Post by Alan Hann » Sun, 09 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: when using vi, the first screenful of information appears and then
: scrolling down makes lines disappear, except for the line the cursor is
: on and the last line on the creen.  Scrolling up only reveals the first
: lines that appeared on the first screenful.

  setenv DISPLAY vt100

  This will (from a csh) let the shell know the size of your screen, and the
stuff will fit bettter,,

--

Alan Hannan                         (402) 472-0241         MIDnet Inc.
------------------------------\ fax (402) 472-0240   A Global Internet Company

Post by Michael Hueh » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>> On the console of a sparc5 solaris 2.3, (and on many terminal
>> sessions), when using vi, the first screenful of information
>> appears and then scrolling down makes lines disappear, except for
>> the line the cursor is on and the last line on the creen.
>> Scrolling up only reveals the first lines that appeared on the
>> first screenful.  Similarly, when listing a man page, ls, cat,
>> whatever, any amount of lines that scrolls past the screen "jumps"
>> to a new blank screen, rather than scrolling down a line at a time?
>> Is this a know bug, and is there a way to fix it?

Casper> Someone did a "setenv TERM vt100" on /dev/console and then did
Casper> an tput init.  Do "setenv TERM sun" followed by reset or tput
Casper> init.

You could check out your environment, after a fresh login on the console:
# echo $TERM;

If there is line like xyz and not sun, than search for a line like:

TERM=xyz;
export TERM;

in your ~/.profile.

To handle this part convenient give the following line a try in your
~/.profile:

eval `tset -m xterm:xterm -m :\?${TERM:-xterm} -r -s -Q`;
export TERM;

This line asks you for the correct terminal type and gives you a
hint. The hint should be (sun) on a console login. If you like the
hint then enter return, in any other case enter your terminal type.

--

 Friendly regards,
 mit freundlichen Gr?en,

   Michael Hhne

     3-S GmbH

     |... My first unix was ...... //// ..... a Microsoft Xenix 86 ...|
     |... Why does Microsoft ... 0(o o)0 ... proclaim a WINDOWS-NT ...|
     *-------- Michael -------oOO--(_)--OOo---------- Hhne ----------*
              CPU Cycles - Use them now or lose them forever

 #include <disclaimer.h>

vi blanks out, long listing blanks screen

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>On the console of a sparc5 solaris 2.3, (and on many terminal sessions),
>when using vi, the first screenful of information appears and then
>scrolling down makes lines disappear, except for the line the cursor is
>on and the last line on the creen.  Scrolling up only reveals the first
>lines that appeared on the first screenful.
>Similarly, when listing a man page, ls, cat, whatever, any amount of
>lines that scrolls past the screen "jumps" to a new blank screen, rather
>than scrolling down a line at a time? Is this a know bug, and is there a
>way to fix it?

Someone did a "setenv TERM vt100" on /dev/console and then did an
tput init.  Do "setenv TERM sun" followed by reset or tput init.

Casper

vi blanks out, long listing blanks screen

Post by f.. » Wed, 12 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this one.  Nothing seemed to work,
until I installed a replacement motherboard from sun.  Things seem okay
now.  Go figure. :-)
--

http://www.interport.net/~ford/

Post by Todd Gilbe » Thu, 13 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> >On the console of a sparc5 solaris 2.3, (and on many terminal sessions),
> >when using vi, the first screenful of information appears and then
> >scrolling down makes lines disappear, except for the line the cursor is
> >on and the last line on the creen.  Scrolling up only reveals the first
> >lines that appeared on the first screenful.
> >Similarly, when listing a man page, ls, cat, whatever, any amount of
> >lines that scrolls past the screen "jumps" to a new blank screen, rather
> >than scrolling down a line at a time? Is this a know bug, and is there a
> >way to fix it?

> Someone did a "setenv TERM vt100" on /dev/console and then did an
> tput init.  Do "setenv TERM sun" followed by reset or tput init.

Wow, I get to add something to a Casper post.
Maybe I'm ready for wizards. ;)

When we got our sparc 10 fresh out of the box it had the
problem described above.  The solution was not as Casper described.
What it turned out to be was the eeprom setting for number
of lines in the console screen was wrong.  If too large, you
get the vi overwrite problem described above.  If too small,
you get blank space at the bottom of your screen.  I think
34 ended up being the right number.

Good luck,
Todd

--

        <I speak for the only person I can speak for>

o/~ "Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand"

"My Pop-Tarts are up.  Goodbye"  Gypsy, MST3K

1. vi: convert double blank lines to single blank lines???

howabou
sed "/./,/^$/!d" file

or, more generally
sed "/./,/^ *$/!d" file

( copyright Brian Hiles, or is it Greg Uben ? )

                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                         JOIN SEDERS MAILING LIST
                            DISCUSS SED WITH US
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

: >
: > I receive some files which contain, among other amusements, 2 (or more)
: > consecutive blank lines. I wish to compress every occurrence of multiple
: > blank lines to one blank line. I have already suppressed leading (and,
: > for that matter, trailing) white space, so all the lines actually match
: > /^$/ if that helps.
: >
: > Personally, I think it is not possible, but there are many of you out
: > there with even more perverse minds than mine. Thanks for looking at my
: > problem. Responses either here to the newsgroup, or, if you think this
: > too esoteric for general interest, to my E-mail address below.

: Not sure if this is supposed be done in vi. I think it should, and Sven
: has shown how to do this. Otherwise, you could use:

:   :%!cat -r

: Purely for esoteric interest :-> I include this sed script:

:   #!/usr/bin/sed -f
:   # on empty lines, join with next
:   :x
:   /^\n*$/{
:   N
:   bx
:   }
:   # now, squeeze all newlines
:   s/^\(\n\)*/\1/

: Casper Boden-Cummins.
--
=-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
al aab, seders moderator                                      sed u soon

2. Is there an FAQ for SunPCi problems?

3. accessing web server from outside

4. Dell CPI, NeoMagic 2200, X, and a blank screen (long)

5. Foreground/Background from Within Program

6. multiple blank lines -> one blank line

7. Default print Method

8. XFree86 4.01: blank lines in terminal and blank terminal???

9. Console blanking: blank on demand

10. trim multiple blanks in text file to just one blank

11. olvwm- get current screen and blank screen

12. Console-Screen-Blanking: black chars on white screen