Is anybody printing euro sign to pcl5 printers from solaris 2.6?

Is anybody printing euro sign to pcl5 printers from solaris 2.6?

Post by Frits Verlijsdon » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:32:00

Hi,

Anybody succeeded in printing the euro sign to any HP printer or compatible
(not postscript) from solaris.?  I have installed all euro required patches.
I'm able to see and input the sign but can't print it.  The only way to
print it so far was by piping output trough mp en specifying an euro
compatible locale and then print it to a postscript printer.
The majority of our printers doesn't support postscript and mp puts headers
and footers on the output. Also we have some matrix printers that are not
postscript compatible.
Anybody knows how to set things up?

thankx

Frits

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 04:17:51

>Anybody succeeded in printing the euro sign to any HP printer or compatible
>(not postscript) from solaris.?  I have installed all euro required patches.
>I'm able to see and input the sign but can't print it.  The only way to
>print it so far was by piping output trough mp en specifying an euro
>compatible locale and then print it to a postscript printer.

That's the way.

Quote:

>The majority of our printers doesn't support postscript and mp puts headers
>and footers on the output. Also we have some matrix printers that are not
>postscript compatible.
>Anybody knows how to set things up?

You must talk to the printer manufacturers to see if your printers
have any character sets that include the Euro symbol.  Older printers
won't, and the graphics languages supported by some printers don't
allow you to define custom characters.

If your printers do have alternate character sets with the Euro
symbol, then the manufacturer should be able to tell you which
one it is, and the command in the printer's command language to
select that character set.

Then you can either use the command-line option in HP's Jetdirect
software to select the character set, or write a filter to send
the PCL command to select the character set, or modify the interface
script to send the PCL command.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Is anybody printing euro sign to pcl5 printers from solaris 2.6?

Post by Frits Verlijsdon » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 05:00:45

Greg,

You're right. Older printers don't support character sets with an euro sign.
There must however be a solution as HP has patches for HP UX. These pathes
download softfonts to the printer before a print job that define the euro in
several fonts and sizes. It's beyond me to make my own filters and
interfaces that can take care of this. Thanks anyway for your comments.

Frits

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 05:34:44

>You're right. Older printers don't support character sets with an euro sign.
>There must however be a solution as HP has patches for HP UX. These pathes
>download softfonts to the printer before a print job that define the euro in
>several fonts and sizes.

That sounds like PCL can support softfont definitions, which is good.

Quote:

>It's beyond me to make my own filters and interfaces that can take care
>of this.

I doubt that is true.  Look at SRDB 28463 on sunsolve.sun.com and FAQ
Answer 6.4 on www.sun.drydog.com for examples of setting up print filters.

The filter program itself can be a simple script that echoes the PCL
commands to stdout, or merely cats a file that has the PCL commands
and font definitions embedded in it.

The hard part is getting the necessary command/font info from the printer
manufacturer.  Turning that info into a print filter is much easier.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.