Can't unmount file system (nfs)

Post by r.. » Thu, 29 May 2003 14:05:46

> >I am trying to move my NFS mounted home directories from one NFS server to
> >another.  However when I go to unmount from the old server I keep getting
> >the message that the file system is busy, eventhough there is nobody logged
> >into the system except me.  fuser -u /nfs/home show no one is using the file
> >system either.  Is there a way to forcefully unmount the NFS mounted file
> >system, without bringing the system down to single user mode?

> First, you should be using "fuser -c /nfs/home" to tell you about all uses
> of the mounted filing system, rather than just those of the named directory.
> Also, there are "uses" that don't show up with "fuser" (e.g. nested mount
> points, exports, files open by the kernel). In Solaris 8, fuser has an
> unfortunate bug for NFS filing systems: a failed attempt to unmount causes
> some uses of the filing system not to show up with "fuser -c", for a while.

Any patch for this yet (in Solaris 8)?

Quote:> But to answer your last question explicitly, yes there is. See the "-f"
> option in the umount(1m) man page. But don't use it until you have exhausted
> all other possibilities.

> Chris Thompson
> Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

1. Can't unmount file system (nfs)

I am trying to move my NFS mounted home directories from one NFS server to
another.  However when I go to unmount from the old server I keep getting
the message that the file system is busy, eventhough there is nobody logged
into the system except me.  fuser -u /nfs/home show no one is using the file
system either.  Is there a way to forcefully unmount the NFS mounted file
system, without bringing the system down to single user mode?

2. smail + taylor 1.05 Problem

3. unmounting 'busy' Netware file system

4. HELP!! McAfee VirusScan detects (or created??) multiple /bin directories!!

5. Can't unmount NFS - System freezes

6. XFree86 for Sun Ultra & Tech-Source Raptor card ?

7. Unmounting NFS file systems of machines that are down

8. X and S3 PiRGE

9. i can't unmount a file system, help

10. Can't unmount userfs filing systems

11. Changing permissions on file underlying the mount point without unmounting file system

12. Can't unmount volume which was once exported via NFS

13. Anyway to unmount NFS fs's that are down or unreachable?