(newby) A very puzzling Ping Issue

(newby) A very puzzling Ping Issue

Post by Mike Mcke » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00



I can't get DNS to work on my Sparc Machine. I've had the problem on my new
Sparc, and also on my X86 Solaris.

Before you tell me what files I have to set, I have done them all. Here is
what is curious:

I can't ping!!!
I can ping to an outside address, and it tells me it's alive. However, when
I send datagrams, it will send them, but not recieve any.

When I do NSLOOKUP (the res_mkquery call times out after sending the
request). I presume it can't read for some reason.

Now the strange thing is that I can use IP addresses directly to do ftp,
telnet, or even Internet. But DNS doesn't work, and I think it all relates
back to my inability to recieve packets using the basic PING command.

Thanks in advance

 
 
 

(newby) A very puzzling Ping Issue

Post by Ed F. de Guzma » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00


Do you pass through a router?

A router can be programmed to ignore ping, or even send BUT not receive, or
vice-versa.

Ed


> I can't get DNS to work on my Sparc Machine. I've had the problem on my new
> Sparc, and also on my X86 Solaris.

> Before you tell me what files I have to set, I have done them all. Here is
> what is curious:

> I can't ping!!!
> I can ping to an outside address, and it tells me it's alive. However, when
> I send datagrams, it will send them, but not recieve any.

> When I do NSLOOKUP (the res_mkquery call times out after sending the
> request). I presume it can't read for some reason.

> Now the strange thing is that I can use IP addresses directly to do ftp,
> telnet, or even Internet. But DNS doesn't work, and I think it all relates
> back to my inability to recieve packets using the basic PING command.

> Thanks in advance


 
 
 

(newby) A very puzzling Ping Issue

Post by Mike Mcke » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00


A little more testing reveals that we have difficulty running TRACEROUTE,
but when we
switch it to use ICMP ECHO instead of UDP Datagram, it will work.

IS our UDP screwed up somehow? We can TELNET, and FTP (uses TCPIP), but
I believe TRACEROUTE, PING, DNS resolution uses UDP

>Do you pass through a router?

>A router can be programmed to ignore ping, or even send BUT not receive, or
>vice-versa.

>Ed


>> I can't get DNS to work on my Sparc Machine. I've had the problem on my
new
>> Sparc, and also on my X86 Solaris.

>> Before you tell me what files I have to set, I have done them all. Here
is
>> what is curious:

>> I can't ping!!!
>> I can ping to an outside address, and it tells me it's alive. However,
when
>> I send datagrams, it will send them, but not recieve any.

>> When I do NSLOOKUP (the res_mkquery call times out after sending the
>> request). I presume it can't read for some reason.

>> Now the strange thing is that I can use IP addresses directly to do ftp,
>> telnet, or even Internet. But DNS doesn't work, and I think it all
relates
>> back to my inability to recieve packets using the basic PING command.

>> Thanks in advance

 
 
 

(newby) A very puzzling Ping Issue

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> I can't get DNS to work on my Sparc Machine. I've had the problem on my new
> Sparc, and also on my X86 Solaris.

> Before you tell me what files I have to set, I have done them all. Here is
> what is curious:

[ snip ]

Err...

1.      How do you know you have "done them all"?
2.      How do we know you know what you are talking about
when you say you
        have "done them all"?

 
 
 

(newby) A very puzzling Ping Issue

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00




>A little more testing reveals that we have difficulty running TRACEROUTE,
>but when we
>switch it to use ICMP ECHO instead of UDP Datagram, it will work.

>IS our UDP screwed up somehow? We can TELNET, and FTP (uses TCPIP), but
>I believe TRACEROUTE, PING, DNS resolution uses UDP

Traceroute sends UDP, but receives ICMP back.  Ping sends and receives
ICMP.  DNS sends and receives UDP (it can optionally use TCP, but uses UDP
by default).


>>Do you pass through a router?

>>A router can be programmed to ignore ping, or even send BUT not receive, or
>>vice-versa.

>>Ed


>>> I can't get DNS to work on my Sparc Machine. I've had the problem on my
>new
>>> Sparc, and also on my X86 Solaris.

>>> Before you tell me what files I have to set, I have done them all. Here
>is
>>> what is curious:

>>> I can't ping!!!
>>> I can ping to an outside address, and it tells me it's alive. However,
>when
>>> I send datagrams, it will send them, but not recieve any.

>>> When I do NSLOOKUP (the res_mkquery call times out after sending the
>>> request). I presume it can't read for some reason.

>>> Now the strange thing is that I can use IP addresses directly to do ftp,
>>> telnet, or even Internet. But DNS doesn't work, and I think it all
>relates
>>> back to my inability to recieve packets using the basic PING command.

>>> Thanks in advance

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.
 
 
 

(newby) A very puzzling Ping Issue

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00





>> I can't get DNS to work on my Sparc Machine. I've had the problem on my new
>> Sparc, and also on my X86 Solaris.

>> Before you tell me what files I have to set, I have done them all. Here is
>> what is curious:
>[ snip ]

>Err...

>1.  How do you know you have "done them all"?

In particular, make sure you've done /etc/nsswitch.conf -- this is the one
that catches most admins when first setting up DNS on Solaris, since most
other systems either don't have this file or the default configure includes
DNS.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.