Openwindows screensaver/powermanagement settings

Openwindows screensaver/powermanagement settings

Post by Dirk Boein » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 19:30:42

I have a problem with Openwindows screensaver and powermanagement settings
on my blade 100 with expert3d lite framebuffer.
Im using Windowmaker with Openwindows. After approx. 10 Minutes of
inactivity, the monitor goes into suspend mode.
I changed the settings with dtpower to disable/always on, but this seems to
have no effect. It looks like Openwindows
has its own powermanagement settings, but I cant find where they are.

Can anybody help me how to disable the pm under Openwindows?

Dirk

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:12:54

|I have a problem with Openwindows screensaver and powermanagement settings
|on my blade 100 with expert3d lite framebuffer.
|Im using Windowmaker with Openwindows. After approx. 10 Minutes of
|inactivity, the monitor goes into suspend mode.
|I changed the settings with dtpower to disable/always on, but this seems to
|have no effect. It looks like Openwindows
|has its own powermanagement settings, but I cant find where they are.

xset -dpms to completely disable Display Power Management.
See the xset man pages for other options to change the various timeouts.

Openwindows screensaver/powermanagement settings

Post by Dirk Boein » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 18:54:36

Quote:> xset -dpms to completely disable Display Power Management.
> See the xset man pages for other options to change the various timeouts.

Hmm, I tried this, but it didnt work. Also xset -fbpm doesnt work. The
monitor still goes after 10 to 15 Minutes of inactivity
into standby-mode. If it keeps on going like this, Im afraid it will damage
my monitor.

It is interesting, that this problem seems not to appear when using CDE.
(Except for the fact, that, when startin dtpower, the idle
time for monitor is always set to 30 Minutes. Even if I disable
powermanagement or set the idle time for the system to 4 hours, the
idle time for monitor will be set to 30 Minutes after restart of CDE. Seems
really strange to me...)

Dirk

Post by Dirk Boein » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 18:57:42

> It is interesting, that this problem seems not to appear when using CDE.
> (Except for the fact, that, when startin dtpower, the idle
> time for monitor is always set to 30 Minutes. Even if I disable
> powermanagement or set the idle time for the system to 4 hours, the
> idle time for monitor will be set to 30 Minutes after restart of CDE.
Seems
> really strange to me...)

Ok, just in this second, my monitor went to standby-mode under CDE, while
powermanagement was disabled....
Can it be caused by the crappy powermanagement of the blade 100????

Post by Anthony Mandi » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 19:44:38

> Ok, just in this second, my monitor went to standby-mode under CDE, while
> powermanagement was disabled....
> Can it be caused by the crappy powermanagement of the blade 100????

        Does your monitor have its own power management settings?
        Look at its own menu.

-am     ? 2002

Openwindows screensaver/powermanagement settings

Post by Dirk Boein » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 23:33:12

Quote:> Does your monitor have its own power management settings?
> Look at its own menu.

No, definitely not. I have checked this before my posting.

Dirk

Post by Dirk Boein » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 03:20:07

> > It is interesting, that this problem seems not to appear when using CDE.
> > (Except for the fact, that, when startin dtpower, the idle
> > time for monitor is always set to 30 Minutes. Even if I disable
> > powermanagement or set the idle time for the system to 4 hours, the
> > idle time for monitor will be set to 30 Minutes after restart of CDE.
> Seems
> > really strange to me...)

> Ok, just in this second, my monitor went to standby-mode under CDE, while
> powermanagement was disabled....
> Can it be caused by the crappy powermanagement of the blade 100????

I have made another interestig discovery. When the screensaver is enabled
under CDE, but screen lock is
disabled and powermanagement too, I dont have any problems with CDE. Seems,
like these problems just
appear under CDE, when screen lock and screensaver is enabled. Then, the
monitor goes into standby mode
when the timout for screen lock is reached. But these settings under CDE
dont affect my Windowmaker environment...

Anyone who has an idea?

Dirk

1. OpenWindows/Setting icon colors

I am running several xterm windows under Open Windows.

I have been able to set the window colors with -fg, -bg, etc.

When I iconify the windows, each icon has the same image and color.

Any ideas how to modify these properties from one xterm to another?

Thanks.
Terry Brady                                            (513) 865-1384
LEXIS-NEXIS

Dayton, Ohio  45401

2. user last login date

3. Help!! Setting up OpenWindows as an Xwindows Server

4. Annoying Language Bar on solaris/CDE

5. setting the DISPLAY variable under OpenWindows

6. SoundBlaster Support

7. Japanese language / OpenWindows / Environment setting

8. installing linux on 486 laptop

9. Setting bpp on OpenWindows

10. Setting Screensaver

11. setting up the screensaver

12. Where's the screensaver settings in WindowMaker?

13. setting screensaver