Serial ports 'stuck' on a Sun Fire 280

Post by mighty merki » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:38:24

Hey,

I am trying to use serial port b on two Sun Fire 280's.  What I am trying to
do is output a single ASCII character every so often (20 seconds or so).  So
I have a small script that basically executes the following command "cp U
/dev/term/b" where U is a 1 byte file that contains the ASCII character "U".
This works fine on one of the two Sun Fires but on the second one, the
script hangs.  Also, when I try to do this manually, it hangs and I never
get back to the command line.

This was working last week but when I came back to work after the weekend,
it stopped and I noticed this behaviour.  The last time I checked, it also
worked on serial port a but this port will normally be used by another piece
of software.

The only other thing that might be different is that there are Digi
portservers configured on the machines.

The permissions and port monitors on each of the machines is identical and
are as follows:

Here are the settings on machine 1 (the working machine)

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          51 May 21 07:55 /dev/term/b ->

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       20,  1 Jul 16 04:53 /dev/term/b

No services defined

PMTAG          PMTYPE         FLGS RCNT STATUS     COMMAND
zsmon          ttymon         -    2    FAILED     /usr/lib/saf/ttymon
#Serial Ports

Here are the settings on machine 2 (the non-working machine)

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          51 Jun  6 04:25 /dev/term/b ->

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       20,  1 Jul 16 04:59 /dev/term/b

No services defined

PMTAG          PMTYPE         FLGS RCNT STATUS     COMMAND
zsmon          ttymon         -    2    FAILED     /usr/lib/saf/ttymon
#Serial Ports

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

merkin

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 01:11:04

>I am trying to use serial port b on two Sun Fire 280's.  What I am trying to
>do is output a single ASCII character every so often (20 seconds or so).  So
>I have a small script that basically executes the following command "cp U
>/dev/term/b" where U is a 1 byte file that contains the ASCII character "U".
>This works fine on one of the two Sun Fires but on the second one, the
>script hangs.  Also, when I try to do this manually, it hangs and I never
>get back to the command line.

/dev/term/b is not the correct device.  You should be opening
/dev/cua/b.

If you think ttymon is interfering with your program's use of
the serial port, then shut it off:  pmadm -r -p zsmon -s ttyb

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Serial ports 'stuck' on a Sun Fire 280

Post by Martha Starke » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:39:36

I'm surprized that anything is working on either of those machines
seeing that sacadm -l is showing FAILED for ttymon.  It should show as
ENABLED. Are there extra lines in the /etc/inittab file for the digi
devices?

Serial ports 'stuck' on a Sun Fire 280

Post by mighty merki » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 04:01:43

Eureka!!  The problem was in the eeprom settings.

ttyb-rts-dtr-off=false
ttyb-ignore-cd=false
ttya-rts-dtr-off=false
ttya-ignore-cd=false
ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,h
ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,h

I changed ttyb-ignore-cd to true and ttyb-mode to 9600,8,n,1,- and it is
working as before.
(I also did a 'sacadm -r -p zsmon' before this but it made no difference)

merkin

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 05:47:25

>I'm surprized that anything is working on either of those machines
>seeing that sacadm -l is showing FAILED for ttymon.  It should show as
>ENABLED. Are there extra lines in the /etc/inittab file for the digi
>devices?

But Martha, you don't need a login service running to use
a serial port in dial-out mode.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

1. Sun Fire 280 Shutdown

Hy all,

I have a SunFire 280 with Solaris 8 10/01
Oracle is installed on it.
Somatimes i have to do shutdown of my machine.
I use the command init 0 but the process of shutdown
don't work. i have to type reboot to stop the machine.
Any Idea
Thanks

2. netware

3. Solaris 8 Installing on Sun FIre 280

4. Linksys drivers question

5. CPU problems Sun Fire 280

6. Direct PC

7. Brand new Sun Fire V120 - can't find ethernet ports

8. digital Camera and Freebsd 4.0 Which One ??

9. HDLC and X.25 on Sun Fire-Wire 440 serial port B

10. can't communicate with Sun over serial port

11. Port of Sun's 'bar' command?

12. SUN 3/160;3/280 FOR TRADE

13. Help : Installing NetBSD on Sun 4/280