add users with admintool-- cannot create home dir?

add users with admintool-- cannot create home dir?

Post by C Gottschalk, M » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I apologize in advance if this is old material--
I have not been able to get local sysadmins to solve this for me, except
to say "sometimes admintool doesn't work".

I am running Solaris 2.7 and having trouble creating new user accts.
When logged in as myself, I open a root shell [as su, not su - or su -
root] and run admintool. If I select "Add.." when browsing users, I have
a window that sets me up.  Yet, when I specify a path for the home
directory, I am told "Cannot create user's home directory".
The help page for "Adding users" does not specify whether I should type
the path to the parent directory, or include the name of the user's
login in the path as well, so I have tried both.

I have added myself to the sysadmin group 14, no help.
I have created a directory with the user's login name, chmod to give him
rwx permissions, still no go.

I realize I can hack /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to specify all this--
but then what's the use of admintool?

Somewhere recently on one of these newsgroups I saw a "useradd" script
posted-- is that to deal with this issue?

Post by Peter Schmi » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I apologize in advance if this is old material--
> I have not been able to get local sysadmins to solve this for me, except
> to say "sometimes admintool doesn't work".

that's not true.

Quote:

> I am running Solaris 2.7 and having trouble creating new user accts.
> When logged in as myself, I open a root shell [as su, not su - or su -
> root] and run admintool. If I select "Add.." when browsing users, I have
> a window that sets me up.  Yet, when I specify a path for the home
> directory, I am told "Cannot create user's home directory".
> The help page for "Adding users" does not specify whether I should type
> the path to the parent directory, or include the name of the user's
> login in the path as well, so I have tried both.

where are you trying to create the directory?  /home is controlled by
automount.  Try a path like /export/home/user_name.

Quote:

> I have added myself to the sysadmin group 14, no help.
> I have created a directory with the user's login name, chmod to give him
> rwx permissions, still no go.

that won't matter if it is in /home.

Quote:

> I realize I can hack /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to specify all this--
> but then what's the use of admintool?

> Somewhere recently on one of these newsgroups I saw a "useradd" script
> posted-- is that to deal with this issue?

no... that was not for this type of thing.  Although it could probably be
used:).

Pete.

add users with admintool-- cannot create home dir?

Post by bde.. » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hey!

There r some things u cud look upon.
. The permissions of the file system you r wishing to create a user on
. Try out /usr/sbin/useradd -d <dir path> -m <login name> as superuser
. If u r a superuser , no need to go to group 14
. The user login name has to be given in the path u specify in admintool
. Just a check, take a look at the checkbox which before the dir field.
It has to be checked in.

Try these out.

Thanks
Deepankar.
Project Manager
Adtel Software
NOIDA -201303
INDIA
91-118-4547601
91-118-4547596

Quote:> I apologize in advance if this is old material--
> I have not been able to get local sysadmins to solve this for me,
except
> to say "sometimes admintool doesn't work".

> I am running Solaris 2.7 and having trouble creating new user accts.
> When logged in as myself, I open a root shell [as su, not su - or su -
> root] and run admintool. If I select "Add.." when browsing users, I
have
> a window that sets me up.  Yet, when I specify a path for the home
> directory, I am told "Cannot create user's home directory".
> The help page for "Adding users" does not specify whether I should
type
> the path to the parent directory, or include the name of the user's
> login in the path as well, so I have tried both.

> I have added myself to the sysadmin group 14, no help.
> I have created a directory with the user's login name, chmod to give
him
> rwx permissions, still no go.

> I realize I can hack /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to specify all this--
> but then what's the use of admintool?

> Somewhere recently on one of these newsgroups I saw a "useradd" script
> posted-- is that to deal with this issue?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

add users with admintool-- cannot create home dir?

Post by kingneptun.. » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

This is a standalone system you are talking about right?
If not, you have many more steps and issues to deal with.
Anyway, the /export/home/user_name is the right path
(of course - as the superuser).  If you are just using
/home/user_name as the home directory for the new user
you have a misconception.  The /home/user_name only
appears as such in an NIS/NIS+ NFS networked environment.
the actual file server will truly be /export/home/user_name.
The appearance of /home/user_name only appears to start
at /home because it is shared with all of the other
computers within the network.  However, there is usually
one main file server on the network.  Just as with a print
server, ftp server, applications server, mail server - etc.
And if it were networked in an NFS environment, you would
probably need Solstice!

The King - Hire me, I need a job!

> Hey!

> There r some things u cud look upon.
> . The permissions of the file system you r wishing to create a user on
> . Try out /usr/sbin/useradd -d <dir path> -m <login name> as superuser
> . If u r a superuser , no need to go to group 14
> . The user login name has to be given in the path u specify in
admintool
> . Just a check, take a look at the checkbox which before the dir
field.
> It has to be checked in.

> Try these out.

> Thanks
> Deepankar.
> Project Manager
> Adtel Software
> NOIDA -201303
> INDIA
> 91-118-4547601
> 91-118-4547596

> > I apologize in advance if this is old material--
> > I have not been able to get local sysadmins to solve this for me,
> except
> > to say "sometimes admintool doesn't work".

> > I am running Solaris 2.7 and having trouble creating new user accts.
> > When logged in as myself, I open a root shell [as su, not su - or
su -
> > root] and run admintool. If I select "Add.." when browsing users, I
> have
> > a window that sets me up.  Yet, when I specify a path for the home
> > directory, I am told "Cannot create user's home directory".
> > The help page for "Adding users" does not specify whether I should
> type
> > the path to the parent directory, or include the name of the user's
> > login in the path as well, so I have tried both.

> > I have added myself to the sysadmin group 14, no help.
> > I have created a directory with the user's login name, chmod to give
> him
> > rwx permissions, still no go.

> > I realize I can hack /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to specify all
this--
> > but then what's the use of admintool?

> > Somewhere recently on one of these newsgroups I saw a "useradd"
script
> > posted-- is that to deal with this issue?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

add users with admintool-- cannot create home dir?

Post by AlasaMorp » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I make the users home directrory 1st in /export/home. Then run admintool
(both these as root). I set the username and password fields, the group and
the
home directory i.e. /export/home/usrname. After I go back and set the group
(chgrp) and ownership (chown) for the directory to the new user in
/export/home
Done !!

>Hey!

>There r some things u cud look upon.
>. The permissions of the file system you r wishing to create a user on
>. Try out /usr/sbin/useradd -d <dir path> -m <login name> as superuser
>. If u r a superuser , no need to go to group 14
>. The user login name has to be given in the path u specify in admintool
>. Just a check, take a look at the checkbox which before the dir field.
>It has to be checked in.

>Try these out.

>Thanks
>Deepankar.
>Project Manager
>Adtel Software
>NOIDA -201303
>INDIA
>91-118-4547601
>91-118-4547596

>> I apologize in advance if this is old material--
>> I have not been able to get local sysadmins to solve this for me,
>except
>> to say "sometimes admintool doesn't work".

>> I am running Solaris 2.7 and having trouble creating new user accts.
>> When logged in as myself, I open a root shell [as su, not su - or su -
>> root] and run admintool. If I select "Add.." when browsing users, I
>have
>> a window that sets me up.  Yet, when I specify a path for the home
>> directory, I am told "Cannot create user's home directory".
>> The help page for "Adding users" does not specify whether I should
>type
>> the path to the parent directory, or include the name of the user's
>> login in the path as well, so I have tried both.

>> I have added myself to the sysadmin group 14, no help.
>> I have created a directory with the user's login name, chmod to give
>him
>> rwx permissions, still no go.

>> I realize I can hack /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to specify all this--
>> but then what's the use of admintool?

>> Somewhere recently on one of these newsgroups I saw a "useradd" script
>> posted-- is that to deal with this issue?

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

1. adding new user with SMC won't create home dir

I want to delegate user administration to persons not comfortable with
command line tools on a Solaris 9 system.  I would like to use Solaris
Management Console.  When I add a user with SMC the new users home
directory is not created, so I have to manually create the user's home
directory.  How can I have SMC create the home dir's automatically?

TIA
Jake

2. Process context for low-layer network protocols?

3. Add a new user that cannot access any other directory than home dir

4. NIS on Solaris 8

5. after changing a user's home dir, cd ~user in ksh still use old dir

6. Problem with make dep - compiling kernel

7. solstice cannot create home Dir

8. VLB_32BIT_IDE for PDC20230

9. NIS client has users but doesn't create their home dirs

10. Creating some identical files/dir's in all users dir's

11. cannot add users to home directory, Solaris 8 intel

12. cannot create make file: cannot get it set to home directory

13. user can cd or view files on other user $HOME dir