IPFilter in Solaris 7

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by Cheung Chung Keun » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:21:14



Hi all,

I am installing IPFilter in Solaris 7 and I am using gcc 3.0. When I 'make
solaris', it tells me that compiler gcc is not 64-bit  capable . Do any
one how to solve it ?

Thanks.
eddy

 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by Rob » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:39:06


Use gcc 2.xxx.
The latest is not always the greatest!



Quote:> Hi all,

> I am installing IPFilter in Solaris 7 and I am using gcc 3.0. When I 'make
> solaris', it tells me that compiler gcc is not 64-bit  capable . Do any
> one how to solve it ?

> Thanks.
> eddy


 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by root » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:13:12


One of my collegues had the same problem and got around it by downloading a
precompiled package from the net. I can't remember from where but it should
be easy to find.
That was not the end of the story. The following steps had to be tken to get
ith installation to work :-
# echo '#path_to_inst_bootstrap_1' >> /etc/path_to_inst
# /usr/sbin/drvconfig
# /usr/sbin/devlinks

And then
# /etc/init.d/ipfboot start

 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by Robert Milkowsk » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 18:15:32



Quote:> Hi all,

> I am installing IPFilter in Solaris 7 and I am using gcc 3.0. When I 'make
> solaris', it tells me that compiler gcc is not 64-bit  capable . Do any
> one how to solve it ?

Hi.
        Find egcs-20000306 on freeware sites. It's experimental version capable
of producing 64bit SPARC-executable files. You can find some documentation
about how to make gcc3.0 64-bit capable, too. But AFAIK it's not fully functional too.

Or you can get Forte C++ from Sun (30 days trial version).

--
                                                Robert Milkowski

 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by Rob » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:48:04


I remember doing this now.  I had to download a pre-compiled version that
was done with Sun's Forte compiler.  Go to the IP Filter homepage and look
at the mail archives.  A few people have posted locations for downloading
the pre-compiled binaries.


Quote:> One of my collegues had the same problem and got around it by downloading
a
> precompiled package from the net. I can't remember from where but it
should
> be easy to find.
> That was not the end of the story. The following steps had to be tken to
get
> ith installation to work :-
> # echo '#path_to_inst_bootstrap_1' >> /etc/path_to_inst
> # /usr/sbin/drvconfig
> # /usr/sbin/devlinks

> And then
> # /etc/init.d/ipfboot start

 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 06:41:42



>...
>Hi.
>    Find egcs-20000306 on freeware sites. It's experimental version capable
>of producing 64bit SPARC-executable files.

no sane person should compile KERNEL DRIVERS with an "experimental"
compiler.

--
[Trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
[ Do NOT email-CC me on posts. Pick one or the other.]

The word of the day is mispergitude

 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by Ernst-Udo Wallenbor » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 08:28:14



Quote:> Hi all,

> I am installing IPFilter in Solaris 7 and I am using gcc 3.0. When I 'make
> solaris', it tells me that compiler gcc is not 64-bit  capable . Do any
> one how to solve it ?

gcc 3.0 on Solaris should be able to generate 64bit code with the
-m64 switch, provided you compiled the compiler for the sparcv9
platform (browse groups.google.com on gcc and sparcv9 to find out more
on this). However in our company, we had mixed results with this.
Hello World compiles nicely 64bit on Solaris 8 with gcc 3.0, but
bigger projects may fail. Specifically, while you can build apache
with 64bit gcc 3.0, the openssl support you might want to add does
not seem to compile yet.

So: think first if you really need 64 bit for ipfilter. If yes,
build a gcc 3.0 for sparcv9 and give it a try with -m64. If that
fails, you'll have to purchase Sun's compilers, i'm afraid.

--
Ernst-Udo Wallenborn

 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by George William Herbe » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 09:05:13




>>Hi.
>>        Find egcs-20000306 on freeware sites. It's experimental version capable
>>of producing 64bit SPARC-executable files.

>no sane person should compile KERNEL DRIVERS with an "experimental"
>compiler.

You know what the Ultra PROM code was compiled with for the first
several years of the Sun4U platform's existence?

causing all sorts of *ed up development system problems until
we dedicated a completely different system just for compiling
boot proms...

-george william herbert

 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by Ish Ratta » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 10:08:06




>> Hi all,

>> I am installing IPFilter in Solaris 7 and I am using gcc 3.0. When I 'make
>> solaris', it tells me that compiler gcc is not 64-bit  capable . Do any
>> one how to solve it ?
> gcc 3.0 on Solaris should be able to generate 64bit code with the
> -m64 switch, provided you compiled the compiler for the sparcv9
> platform (browse groups.google.com on gcc and sparcv9 to find out more
> on this). However in our company, we had mixed results with this.
> Hello World compiles nicely 64bit on Solaris 8 with gcc 3.0, but
> bigger projects may fail. Specifically, while you can build apache

gcc-3.0 (64bit binary that produces 64 bit executables) compiles
ipfilter-3.4.20 correctly..

- ishwar

 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by vinods » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:42:32



> Use gcc 2.xxx.
> The latest is not always the greatest!



> > Hi all,

> > I am installing IPFilter in Solaris 7 and I am using gcc 3.0. When I 'make
> > solaris', it tells me that compiler gcc is not 64-bit  capable . Do any
> > one how to solve it ?

> > Thanks.
> > eddy

get  in to /etc/system file edit boot 64bit =true  and reboot u will get 64bit
boot from solaris 7

this might solve ur prob

Vinod

 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by Robert Milkowsk » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:46:57




>>...
>>Hi.
>>        Find egcs-20000306 on freeware sites. It's experimental version capable
>>of producing 64bit SPARC-executable files.

> no sane person should compile KERNEL DRIVERS with an "experimental"
> compiler.

it's your choice - you can use egcs, gcc3.0 or Forte.
Only Forte is really safe in that situation, IMHO.

--
                                                Robert Milkowski

 
 
 

IPFilter in Solaris 7

Post by somebody+use.. » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 04:19:01




>> Use gcc 2.xxx.
>> The latest is not always the greatest!



>> > I am installing IPFilter in Solaris 7 and I am using gcc 3.0. When I 'make
>> > solaris', it tells me that compiler gcc is not 64-bit  capable . Do any
>> > one how to solve it ?

> get  in to /etc/system file edit boot 64bit =true  and reboot u will get 64bit
> boot from solaris 7

> this might solve ur prob

Or not.  He's trying to _compile_ a 64-bit program, he never
mentioned a problem booting.  The file you're thinking of it
/platform/sun4u/boot.conf, not /etc/system, and it only applies
to the very earliest 64-bit hardware from Sun.   If the original
poster is already running a 64-bit kernel then it's irrelevant
and there's no need to modify it.

The safest compiler to use for compiling kernel modules is the one
the rest of the kernel was compiled with.  The Sun compiler can
generate 64-bit kernel modules and compiles ip_filter without
any problems.  If you subscribe to the ip_filter mailing list
you'll find that people regularly provide pre-compiled ipf/ipfx
Solaris packages for those that don't want to build it themselves.

-greg

 
 
 

1. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

I am searching for plugins for Netscape Navigator on a SPARC Solaris 2.5
system.  While any help would be appreciated, I am especially looking for
plugs for RealAudio, wav, and Shockwave files.

Surely I don't have to go out and buy an IBM PC running windows or a
just to be able to access sites which use these technologies.
--

:s <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."
:s Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should
:s be construed as representing my employer's opinions.

2. RH5.1 Kernel upgrade to 2.0.35 for my Vortex 3com card

3. Code fragments/plug-ins for solaris?

4. problem: sun-c++, sys/varargs.h, solaris 2.5

5. ipfilter on Solaris 2.6

6. How? - List file when changing directories

7. solaris 10 ipfilter and ip multipath

8. Ethernet controllers

9. ipfilter on solaris 10

10. ipfilter on solaris sparc -- HELP

11. How to install IPFilter on Solaris 8 (x86)

12. ipfilter/NAT with Solaris and 2-cpu machine

13. Solaris 7 and ipfilter