Sparc-Binaries to SuperSparc (SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 4.1.3/Solaris 1.1)

Sparc-Binaries to SuperSparc (SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 4.1.3/Solaris 1.1)

Post by Robert Montj » Tue, 22 Sep 1992 01:09:41

Quote:>The Subject says it all.

>Has somebody experiences with the new SparcStation 10? Is it binary
>compatible to the old Sparc architecture?

Yes. All Single processor SPARC's are binary compatable. They all can
run SunOS 4.1.3.

For the multiprocessor SPARC's you will need to run Solaris 2.0(SunOS 5.0)
which is not binary compatable with SunOS4.1.3. You can run them in
binary compatablity mode but they will run slower and have to meet
several restrications on how the program was linked. These restrictions
include the following:

        1) The program must not try to access the kernel.
        2) Must be linked with the shared libaries. Preferably with
           shared lib's of 4.1.1 or better.
        3) Do not have hard coded paths to certain OS files. Like /etc/utmp

There are many more such restrictions.

Quote:

>How about the OS? Are there any known problems to migrate to the
>Solaris 1.1 (= SunOS 4.1.3?)?

The "biggest" problem is that it does not incorporate many of the
important patches and currentily these patches are not readily
avaliable to be on Internet. These patches include several
of the security patches such as the NFS Jumbo patch that
addresses security concerns.

But is does came with all the recent patches for Openwin3.0.

Quote:>Is it possible to run Solaris 1.1 on the old Sparc's?

Yes. I am running 4.1.3 on my Sparc 2.

--

Electrical and Computer Engineering     - uunet!uceng!rmontjoy

-- The "Enviromental Destruction" President or a "Tax and Spend" President.
   This is a choice?

Sparc-Binaries to SuperSparc (SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 4.1.3/Solaris 1.1)

Post by Barry Margol » Tue, 22 Sep 1992 09:27:28

Quote:>For the multiprocessor SPARC's you will need to run Solaris 2.0(SunOS 5.0)

Perhaps you mean "multiprocessor SuperSPARCs".  SunOS 4.1.2 supports
multiprocessor Sparcsystem 6xx/MP systems just fine.
--
Barry Margolin
System Manager, Thinking Machines Corp.

Post by Gerd Aschema » Mon, 21 Sep 1992 23:31:08

The Subject says it all.

Has somebody experiences with the new SparcStation 10? Is it binary
compatible to the old Sparc architecture? I heard something about 64
bit pointers etc. We are going to sell some SparcStation 10 (Model 20
and 41). Do I have to compile my whole bunch of free software again?

How about the OS? Are there any known problems to migrate to the
Solaris 1.1 (= SunOS 4.1.3?)? Is it possible to run Solaris 1.1 on the
old Sparc's?

Please reply by mail. I'll post a summary.

Gerd Aschemann          --          Please note my new email address:

"Jeder Versuch eines Einzelnen, fuer sich zu loesen, was alle angeht,
   muss scheitern."  (F. Duerrenmatt, 21 Punkte zu "Die Physiker")

Sparc-Binaries to SuperSparc (SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 4.1.3/Solaris 1.1)

Post by Guy Harr » Wed, 23 Sep 1992 06:08:43

Quote:>Has somebody experiences with the new SparcStation 10? Is it binary
>compatible to the old Sparc architecture? I heard something about 64
>bit pointers etc.

Don't believe it.  The SS10 uses the TI TMS390Z50 SPARC chip, which is a
SPARC Version 8 implementation; V8, like V7 (earlier chips, such as the
ones in just about every other SPARC-based machine in creation, are V7),
is a 32-bit architecture and doesn't have 64-bit pointers.

SPARC International recently did a SPARC V9 architecture, which is a
64-bit architecture, but nobody has implementations of it on the market
yet; HaL, apparently, is working on one (but it'll be proprietary to
HaL), and various chip vendors will probably have it at some point in
the future.

V8 implementations should be binary-compatible with V7 implementations
(modulo the absence of Extended-precision floating-point, which was in
V7 but not in V8; however, the V8 architecture manual claims that "no
existing SPARC application code uses Extended-precision floating-point
arithmetic).  V8 has quad-precision instead.  So, as far as I know, the
SS10 should be binary-compatible (modulo programs that "know" how the
audio hardware works, for example; the SS10 has different and fancier
audio hardware).

1. CDE: 1.0.1 (SunOS 5.5.1) vs 1.1 (SunOS 5.6)

Hi all-

Can anyone tell me about the differences between CDE 1.0.1 (installed
w/Solaris 2.5.1) and CDE 1.1 (installed w/Solaris 2.6)?

The only added feature I know of is the locking screensaver, but I'm sure
there are many more.  (can you tell I haven't worked much with 2.6?  :)

And is it possible to install CDE 1.1 onto Solaris 2.5.1?

TiA,
Rob Worman

--
My username is rob
after the "at" symbol, you should type "macconnect.com"

2. demo terminal

3. Patch for y2000 for SunOS 4.1.3 or Solaris 1.1

4. Another probably elementary makefile question

5. Solaris 1.1 (SunOS 4.1.3) on Classic/LX

6. question about process memory usage and process memory limits

7. Multi-Headed Solaris 7/SunOS 1.1 Machines

8. Tooltalk problems

9. NEEDED: Audio CD Player Software for Solaris 1.1 (a.k.a. SunOS 4.1.3)

10. Solaris 1.1 (SunOS 4.1.3) on Classic/LX

11. SunOS-4.1.1 biary under Solaris-2.4

12. SPARC SunOs 4.x or SPARC Solaris appls under Linux

13. Are Multiple SuperSPARC MP 's supported under SunOS 4.x?