setting the root password for solaris9

Post by ton » Fri, 23 May 2003 05:42:35

i am jumpstarting an ultra10 using solaris9. i'm having trouble
setting the root password after the first reboot, so that the system
does not ask me to put in the root password. i need some help with
getting the system not to ask for the root password after the first
reboot during jumpstart. thanks in advance

Post by Lars Tunkran » Fri, 23 May 2003 06:33:31

> i am jumpstarting an ultra10 using solaris9. i'm having trouble
> setting the root password after the first reboot, so that the system
> does not ask me to put in the root password. i need some help with
> getting the system not to ask for the root password after the first
> reboot during jumpstart. thanks in advance

You need to be more specific about what you a trying to do !

If you had configured your Jumpstart profiles compleatly
no reboot would occur.

When I build  a Jumpstart environment  with the Jass toolkit
All configured OS-packages + all security configurations and the installled
Recommneded patch set is copied to the target machine-DISC in one big
install-run.

The Root password is one of the configuration parameters in
the Jumpstart profile.

If you are using a Jumpstart server as just a boot server, and is
doing an interactive install from the network, you would need
to supply the root password manually.

Lars Tunkrans
smtp: lars dot tunkrans at bredband dot net

setting the root password for solaris9

Post by ton » Fri, 23 May 2003 23:28:19

basically i'm trying to jumpstart an ultra10 with solaris 9 from one
of our servers. i read in the installation book that i would need to
use a finish script for the root password in order for it not to ask
for the root password when the ultra10 reboots. i've even put the root
password in the sysidcfg file in ..../Tools/Boot/etc. however, i'm
picking up work from someone who left the company so i really don't
know if they copied the image correctly, so do you think i should
start from scratch and recopy the image onto the server?

> > i am jumpstarting an ultra10 using solaris9. i'm having trouble
> > setting the root password after the first reboot, so that the system
> > does not ask me to put in the root password. i need some help with
> > getting the system not to ask for the root password after the first
> > reboot during jumpstart. thanks in advance

> You need to be more specific about what you a trying to do !

> If you had configured your Jumpstart profiles compleatly
> no reboot would occur.

> When I build  a Jumpstart environment  with the Jass toolkit
> All configured OS-packages + all security configurations and the installled
> Recommneded patch set is copied to the target machine-DISC in one big
> install-run.

> The Root password is one of the configuration parameters in
> the Jumpstart profile.

> If you are using a Jumpstart server as just a boot server, and is
> doing an interactive install from the network, you would need
> to supply the root password manually.

1. Can't set root password- Password busy error -is not due to temp password file

I just loaded netBSD 1.5 on my Mac Quadra 800 for the first time.  I
can't set the root password because I get the password is busy message.
I checked the FAQ and it there is no temp password file in the /etc
directory.  What could be the problem? Thanks

2. Help with Twm bug

3. Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

4. DVR RW

5. can only set passwords as root

6. AIX sockets permission question

7. setting root password for individual workstations ?

8. ATI 3D Xpressions+pctv

9. setting root password

10. can't set root password

11. root password not set