Rlogin escape sequence on Solaris (not the same as HP-UX)

Rlogin escape sequence on Solaris (not the same as HP-UX)

Post by John Dav » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:43:40

Hi, I'm working with rlogin on Solaris 2.8 and I've noticed that when
I do a "~." (tilda-dot) in an rlogin session, it ends up killing the
parent process (basically my xterm), instead of just killing the
rlogin session that I'm in. in HP-UX, the ~. sequence just kills my
current rlogin session. Is there a way to have that same behavior in
Solaris? It's a little annoying to do the ~. and then just kill the
whole xterm.

Thanks!

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:11:00

>Hi, I'm working with rlogin on Solaris 2.8 and I've noticed that when
>I do a "~." (tilda-dot) in an rlogin session, it ends up killing the
>parent process (basically my xterm), instead of just killing the
>rlogin session that I'm in. in HP-UX, the ~. sequence just kills my
>current rlogin session. Is there a way to have that same behavior in
>Solaris? It's a little annoying to do the ~. and then just kill the
>whole xterm.

Are you sure you're not in a nested rlogin, i.e.

  xterm -e rlogin machine1

and from there you did an rlogin to machine2.  When you type "~." it's seen
by the first machine, so the "rlogin machine1" terminates, which causes the
xterm to terminate.

If this is how you're connected, use "~~.".  "~~" is seen by the first
rlogin, which translates it to "~" and sends it to machine2.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

1. Escape sequences on HP-UX 10.x parallel port...

Help.... Unix newbie in need of urgent assistance.

I have a new HP-UX 9000/D210 with an HP LJIII attached to the parallel
port of the D210.  I cannot get the laserprinter to recognise any of the
escape sequences which are contained in the file I'm trying to print.

I'm using standard lp <filename> to print the file...

Thanks in advance..

Geoff.

2. Q: POP3 Client for Solaris

3. Term trouble with rlogin between Solaris 2.4 & HP-UX 9.075

4. conf.modules is read only ?

5. rlogin from Solaris to HP-UX problem

6. Dial_up-Utils2.27 question

7. Difference between HP-UX 10.10 and HP-UX 10.20

8. Newbie Linux question

9. Telnet/rlogin from vax-vms to hp-ux

10. rlogin source code for HP-UX

11. Disable rlogin on HP-UX 10.X

12. Telnet/rlogin vax-vms to hp-ux

13. Please send me the Escape sequence for HP-UNIX if you have one.