NIS Setup - Solaris 2.1

Post by Bill Heis » Sat, 01 May 1993 01:42:45

This seems like such a *simple* thing, we must be doing something
stupid wrong.  We have an IPX running 2.1 in a YP domain running
SunOS 4.1.2.  The machine was running without YP up until now.
We set the domainname (created /etc/defaultdomain) and 'ypinit -c'.
YP seems to start (ypbind starts, and indicates it is bound to
the 4.1 server).   If I 'ypmatch username passwd', it returns
the expected entry.

BUT: if I try to "cd ~username" (in csh), or "su username", or
antyhing else that requires the yp password username to be
resolved, I'm told "no such user" exists.

What are we doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

--

NIS Setup - Solaris 2.1

Post by Bob Dowli » Sat, 01 May 1993 19:43:26

|> If I 'ypmatch username passwd', it returns
|> the expected entry.
|>
|> BUT: if I try to "cd ~username" (in csh), or "su username", or
|> antyhing else that requires the yp password username to be
|> resolved, I'm told "no such user" exists.

Have you changed your /etc/nsswitch.conf file to use YP?

NIS Setup - Solaris 2.1

Post by Vipin Sam » Sun, 02 May 1993 01:29:57

>This seems like such a *simple* thing, we must be doing something
>stupid wrong.  We have an IPX running 2.1 in a YP domain running
>SunOS 4.1.2.  The machine was running without YP up until now.
>We set the domainname (created /etc/defaultdomain) and 'ypinit -c'.
>YP seems to start (ypbind starts, and indicates it is bound to
>the 4.1 server).   If I 'ypmatch username passwd', it returns
>the expected entry.
>BUT: if I try to "cd ~username" (in csh), or "su username", or
>antyhing else that requires the yp password username to be
>resolved, I'm told "no such user" exists.
>What are we doing wrong?

Looks like you forgot to change the /etc/nsswitch.file so as
to use NIS instead of "files".  Or you can just copy the
/etc/nsswitch.nis to /etc/nsswitch.conf.  If your automounter was already
running, you may want to kill and restart it after making this
change.

--
These opinions are mine and only mine.