Question about Solaris 2.6 (x86) and simple network setup

Question about Solaris 2.6 (x86) and simple network setup

Post by Knut Haberkan » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Hi !

I have just installed Solaris x86 2.6. The name of this maschine
is "daggy" and domain "banich.de" - only for my local network at
home.

(1) I have a notebook running Win95 and want to get my data there
    to the Solaris computer using ftp:
    How do I have to configure the Solaris to do so ?
    I have just added the IP address (e.g. 49.69.198.100 - I
    know, not an allowed one, but it is for my home purpose
    only : any suggestions for a better one !? :-) ) to
    /etc/hosts: 49.69.198.100    daggy     localhost
    and the file /etc/defaultdomain: branich.de
    When I do a ping 127.0.0.1: it says  "localhost alive"
    a ping 49.69.198.100 follows:
    "ICMP from localhost (127.0.0.1) to daggy (49.69.198.100)
     network not reachable ..."
    ifconfig -a : lo0 127.0.0.1 (localhost) up, ...etc.

    What else is to do ?

(2) It would be nice, if there is anywone, who can help me to
    set up my dialup (modem) internet connection from solaris to
    my university. I have seen, that there are several ppp-tools
    or daemons who can do this: but I dont know HOW :-(

        Knut

------

Branichstr. 50                 phone: +49 172 6224641
69198 Schriesheim

 
 
 

Question about Solaris 2.6 (x86) and simple network setup

Post by Cosmi » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00




> Hi !

> I have just installed Solaris x86 2.6. The name of this maschine
> is "daggy" and domain "banich.de" - only for my local network at
> home.

> (1) I have a notebook running Win95 and want to get my data there
>     to the Solaris computer using ftp:
>     How do I have to configure the Solaris to do so ?
>     I have just added the IP address (e.g. 49.69.198.100 - I
>     know, not an allowed one, but it is for my home purpose
>     only : any suggestions for a better one !? :-) ) to

how about using 192.168.x.x (non-routeable internet test ip address
range)

Quote:>     /etc/hosts: 49.69.198.100    daggy     localhost

/etc/hosts should look like
127.0.0.1     localhost
192.168.0.10  daggy daggy.banich.de loghost
and any other TCP/IP and hostname information for other machines on your
network
192.168.0.11  beerstein beerstein.banich.de
etc. etc.

Quote:>     and the file /etc/defaultdomain: branich.de

file /etc/defaultdomain is used for NIS+.  Delete this file, you are not
using NIS+.

Quote:>     When I do a ping 127.0.0.1: it says  "localhost alive"
>     a ping 49.69.198.100 follows:
>     "ICMP from localhost (127.0.0.1) to daggy (49.69.198.100)
>      network not reachable ..."
>     ifconfig -a : lo0 127.0.0.1 (localhost) up, ...etc.

>     What else is to do ?

/etc/hostname.xxx0 (xxx is the abbreviation for type of ethernet
interface- for example .le0 for lance ethernet default SPARC machines
-10 base T) should have the name of the the machine name in it (daggy
only)

Quote:

> (2) It would be nice, if there is anywone, who can help me to
>     set up my dialup (modem) internet connection from solaris to
>     my university. I have seen, that there are several ppp-tools
>     or daemons who can do this: but I dont know HOW :-(

Check out

http://www.riddleware.com/solx86/ppp-config.html
http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/index.html
http://www.squirrel.com/sun-stuff.html
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/armoring.html - firewall info
http://docs.sun.com/

that should get you going.

>         Knut

> ------

> Branichstr. 50                 phone: +49 172 6224641
> 69198 Schriesheim

You might also want to check out the FAQ.
Most recent version:

http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2

Hope that helps,

Cosmic Chuck
UNIX Network Engineer
to reply remove the obvious .NoSpam and NoSpam. respectively.

 
 
 

1. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

I was going to use this hard drive to move large files from my
Ultra to my Pentium PC for CD-R backup, but upon "boot -r" on
the Ultra I saw an error about "invalid geometry" on sd3, the
drive I had formatted on my PC to be ufs.  And now of course
I can't even "prtvtoc" this disk ("Unable to read Disk geometry"),
so mounting it is seemingly out of the question.

What's the problem?  Was I naive to assume the a ufs on a Solaris
system would be the same regardless of CPU type?  I really don't
want to use Ethernet to transmit potentially gigabytes of data
on a regular basis :-(...

Please reply via email (and post here, of course), as I don't
get a chance to keep up with the newsgroup as regularly as I
would wish.  Thanks.

--
--
Mark J. Kaufman             Sun Microsystems, San Diego

2. Unable to dialout Modem on Notebook

3. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

4. Partition Check on Boot up

5. Simple query - installing a network printer under Solaris 2.6

6. Lightbar 1.12 disables email?

7. Modem setup for Solaris 2.6 x86?

8. NeoMagic FPU fix (2.5.5-pre1)

9. SSL setup (SWS) on Solaris 2.6 x86

10. How to setup ESS1689 PNP Sound Card under Solaris 2.6 x86?

11. RH 6.2 + Solaris 2.6 x86 LILO Setup

12. how setup sendmail on solaris x86.2.6

13. Solaris 2.6 x86 network printing