Wrong MAC address in 2.6

Post by Robert » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:39:52

We have a Sun Ultra 5 running Solaris 2.6 with 2 NICs.  For some reason,
running ifconfig -a shows both NICs having the same MAC address.  As this
machine is currently running CheckPoint Firewall successfully (and doing NAT
to boot), this obviously is not the case.

Checking the boot logs, I have been able to determine what the MAC address
for the second NIC is.  Anyone know how to make sure it shows up properly?
Is there a configuration step that we're missing?

Wrong MAC address in 2.6

Post by Vadim V. Kouevd » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:51:44

> We have a Sun Ultra 5 running Solaris 2.6 with 2 NICs.  For some reason,
> running ifconfig -a shows both NICs having the same MAC address.  As this
> machine is currently running CheckPoint Firewall successfully (and doing NAT
> to boot), this obviously is not the case.

> Checking the boot logs, I have been able to determine what the MAC address
> for the second NIC is.  Anyone know how to make sure it shows up properly?
> Is there a configuration step that we're missing?

Sun decided all of their interfaces will have the same MAC (?!) address
a while ago. If you need to set different MAC address for second interface,
use "ifconfig <dev> ether 0:1:2:3:4:5". This option is not used in standard
/etc/init.d scripts, so again, if you need, you will need to modify startup
scripts as well to make it permanent.

--

Bear Stearns       Engineering Task Force       ITG UNIX

Wrong MAC address in 2.6

Post by Ole Michaels » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 01:02:59

> We have a Sun Ultra 5 running Solaris 2.6 with 2 NICs.  For some reason,
> running ifconfig -a shows both NICs having the same MAC address.  As this
> machine is currently running CheckPoint Firewall successfully (and doing NAT
> to boot), this obviously is not the case.

setenv local-mac-address? true

in the OBP.

Brgds,

--
Ole Michaelsen
Copenhagen, Denmark

Wrong MAC address in 2.6

Post by Logan Sh » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 01:20:20

>We have a Sun Ultra 5 running Solaris 2.6 with 2 NICs.  For some reason,
>running ifconfig -a shows both NICs having the same MAC address.  As this
>machine is currently running CheckPoint Firewall successfully (and doing NAT
>to boot), this obviously is not the case.

Why does that mean it's not the case?  The MAC only needs to be unique
on the same Ethernet.  Since you have a firewall, each interface should
be on a different Ethernet.  Therefore, the MAC address can be the same
on both interfaces with no problem.

  - Logan
--
my  your   his  her   our   their   _its_
I'm you're he's she's we're they're _it's_

Wrong MAC address in 2.6

Post by Neal Gushu » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 22:16:44

The MAC address ir required to be unique on a per ethernet segment basis, so
in
theory you can have the same MAC on multiple interfaces.

With Checkpoint, there are known performance issues with a single MAC setup.
Make sure that you supply unique MAC addr's per checkpoint interface and
your
firewall will be happier.

Neal

> >We have a Sun Ultra 5 running Solaris 2.6 with 2 NICs.  For some reason,
> >running ifconfig -a shows both NICs having the same MAC address.  As this
> >machine is currently running CheckPoint Firewall successfully (and doing
NAT
> >to boot), this obviously is not the case.

> Why does that mean it's not the case?  The MAC only needs to be unique
> on the same Ethernet.  Since you have a firewall, each interface should
> be on a different Ethernet.  Therefore, the MAC address can be the same
> on both interfaces with no problem.

>   - Logan
> --
> my  your   his  her   our   their   _its_
> I'm you're he's she's we're they're _it's_

1. MAC address assignment on Ethernet cards (Solaris 2.6 & 2.7)

When checking the network config for each of the Network cards
in our SUN machines I noticed that all of the adapters share the
same MAC address.  At least this is what is reported by ifconfig.
We were reading in the performance tuning guide for our firewall
and it states that for improved performance you should make sure
all of the NIC's have a unique MAC address.  Would this also be
true if the MAC addresses are unique for the other SUN systems
as well?  This being the case does anyone know how to change them
for the other Network boards and how to find the original MAC
address assigned to each one so it can be used again.  If you have
any idea on how to do this please let me know.

Regards,

Robert

2. Anyone used QVWM?

3. HELP lost network, wrong MAC address on Ultra 5

4. Serious Matrox Millenium I problems

5. ARP shows client is given wrong MAC Address for system with 2 NICs

6. 'svgalib.et4000' files requested...

7. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

8. need help with setting up server!

9. filtering users by mac address and limiting bandwidth to each mac.

10. rlogin and telnet get address my address wrong

11. Binding a single IP Address to two different MAC addresses

12. Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

13. Determining IP address from MAC address