Interactive Postscript interpreter

Post by Richard L. Hamilto » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

> Do any of the OpenWindows utilities provide an interactive Postscript
> interpreting cabability, something along the lines of the old NeWS
> utilities 'psh' (Postscript Shell) or 'psview' utilities, IIRC?

/usr/openwin/demo/dpsexec - see dpsexec(6)

Quote:> BTW, I realise Ghostscript does this.
> Has anyone managed to make ghostscript use the openwin fonts installed
> for openwin's DPS capability, rather than installing a second set for
> ghostscript's own use?

The version of GhostScript I've got (3.51) had a fontmap.Solaris
file that served as an example of using the Type 1 fonts in
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 with GhostScript.

   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
   Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 12:29:40 -0400

   > Do any of the OpenWindows utilities provide an interactive Postscript
   > interpreting cabability, something along the lines of the old NeWS
   > utilities 'psh' (Postscript Shell) or 'psview' utilities, IIRC?

   /usr/openwin/demo/dpsexec - see dpsexec(6)

The Modello Foundation Library on ftp.x.org has, as a demo,
a GUI version of dpsexec that you might find useful.  It also
has a little help facility for those of me who don't always
remember the order of operands for every operator 8^|.  It also
includes a cut of dpsexec with a few extras, like reading an rc
file at startup (which is a good place to undef the showpage
operator, etc).

rick

        "Overspecification is the root of all evil."

        Richard M. Goldstein

        Desktop Performance Group
        SunSoft, Inc.

Interactive Postscript interpreter

Post by Steve Ka » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Do any of the OpenWindows utilities provide an interactive Postscript
>interpreting cabability, something along the lines of the old NeWS
>utilities 'psh' (Postscript Shell) or 'psview' utilities, IIRC?

>BTW, I realise Ghostscript does this.
>Has anyone managed to make ghostscript use the openwin fonts installed
>for openwin's DPS capability, rather than installing a second set for
>ghostscript's own use?

pageview should do the trick.

Steve Kay.
d- s+ a- US++ p-- w x++ b++ DI++++ G e* h--

--

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00

 >Do any of the OpenWindows utilities provide an interactive Postscript
 >interpreting cabability, something along the lines of the old NeWS
 >utilities 'psh' (Postscript Shell) or 'psview' utilities, IIRC?

 >BTW, I realise Ghostscript does this.
 >Has anyone managed to make ghostscript use the openwin fonts installed
 >for openwin's DPS capability, rather than installing a second set for
 >ghostscript's own use?

I have not configed or even used GS for over a year, so am kind of fuzzy,
but I managed to use the DPS fonts with 2.4 a couple of years ago.  One
simple way is to symlink the fonts into the GS lib/fonts dir.  You then have
to edit the font config file to taste.  I even added a bunch of PD type1
fonts to the DPS fonts and to GS so they worked with troff.  Haven't had
that much spare time on my hands in a couple of years.

There is some discussion in the docs for using native fonts.  Look for that
also.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt.Inst. ()  /   _____  ______

1. Postscript to HP LaserJet Interpreter

Does anyone know where I can get the source of a postscript
interpreter that will run on 386 Unix and output to an HP LaserJet?
I know there is a postscript interpreter on uunet.uu.net, but I don't
know if it can be made to output to the laserjet.  Any pointers would
be appreciated.

2. How do you set SHMMIN?

3. ghostview/gs postscript interpreter failed?

4. autostarting eth0 PCMCIA

5. printing to printers w/o embedded postscript interpreter on solaris

6. SUMMARY: Do reliable 8mm (Exabyte drive) tapes exist?

7. Postscript to PCL interpreter

8. Firewall hits, src and dest port 500?

9. Display PostScript (DPS) interpreter

10. Problems with Postscript Previewer/Interpreter

11. postscript interpreters ?

12. Ghostview problem - PostScript interpreter failed in main window.

13. Postscript Interpreter