tcsh from command window - no arrow key action?

tcsh from command window - no arrow key action?

Post by Don Gilbe » Tue, 09 Aug 1994 21:28:46

this is probably an old question, but we haven't found the
answer in a bit of looking:
  tcsh arrow keys are not working when run on Sol 2.3
in an openwindows command shell.  tcsh arrows work when
logged on remotely (e.g., from Mac using NCSA telnet), so
it may be just a termcap/terminfo fiddle to fix.  We have
tried tcsh from various places, recompiled on the Sol 2.3
system with gcc.

Thanks for suggestions,  Don
--

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 11:18:38

 >this is probably an old question, but we haven't found the
 >answer in a bit of looking:
 >  tcsh arrow keys are not working when run on Sol 2.3
 >in an openwindows command shell.  tcsh arrows work when
 >logged on remotely (e.g., from Mac using NCSA telnet), so
 >it may be just a termcap/terminfo fiddle to fix.  We have
 >tried tcsh from various places, recompiled on the Sol 2.3
 >system with gcc.

 >Thanks for suggestions,  Don
 >--

This is a FAQ.  Many years ago Sun decided to build many of the emacs
command sequences into their default terminal window.  The problem is that
cmdtool and tcsh are fighting for the escape seqences.  It is possible to
put an initialization string into terminfo that will turn cmdtool into
shelltool, which does not try to be smart about the escape sequences.  Even
better IMHO is to forget about cmdtool and replace it with xterm.  I have
changed the .Xdefaults so that xterm comes up the same size and with the
same font as cmdtool.  Another advantage is that xterm can have scrolling
turned on and off without munging the contents of the buffer or window.  The
downside is that cmdtool has a larger scroll buffer.

Thanks for the help with gopher and html in the past.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Gopher,chimera,nn,tin,jove,modems, free code is best!/________/ /  /  / /

tcsh from command window - no arrow key action?

Post by Davin Mil » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 14:35:00

Quote:>Even
>better IMHO is to forget about cmdtool and replace it with xterm.  I have
>changed the .Xdefaults so that xterm comes up the same size and with the
>same font as cmdtool.  Another advantage is that xterm can have scrolling
>turned on and off without munging the contents of the buffer or window.  The
>downside is that cmdtool has a larger scroll buffer.

You can set xterm's scroll buffer as large as you like, by setting the
saveLines resource.  I have
        XTerm*saveLines: 2048
in my .Xdefaults.

Davin.

               Fax:       (716) 645-3464

Post by Andre Be » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 19:46:39

|> [..]
|> same font as cmdtool.  Another advantage is that xterm can have scrolling
|> turned on and off without munging the contents of the buffer or window.  The
|> downside is that cmdtool has a larger scroll buffer.

If this is the only problem, investigate the -sl (scroll length) option
to xterm. MY only problem with xterm is its cheap vt100 emulation (compared
to the emulation features in DECs own dxterm).

--
+-o-+--------------------------------------------------------+-o-+
| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |

+-o-+--------------------------------------------------------+-o-+

Post by Andre Be » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 18:46:26

|> this is probably an old question, but we haven't found the
|> answer in a bit of looking:
|>   tcsh arrow keys are not working when run on Sol 2.3
|> in an openwindows command shell.  tcsh arrows work when
|> logged on remotely (e.g., from Mac using NCSA telnet), so
|> it may be just a termcap/terminfo fiddle to fix.  We have
|> tried tcsh from various places, recompiled on the Sol 2.3
|> system with gcc.

The problem originates in Suns 'cmdtool', which has two modes:

1) without scrollbar, usable as a terminal
2) with scrollbar, braindamaged "try-to-be-an-editor" mode

In mode 2 you are no longer in a terminal, but in an editor which
pretends to be a terminal, however this mode doesn't even know of
basic output control (ever wondered why the more prompt isn't reverse ?)
and captures all editing keys for its own purposes. This allows users
some (strange) way of command line editing, of course not compatible
to anything but Sun. If you don't want to use cmdtool without scrollbar,
switch over to xterm and forget cmdtool (or better XView at all ;)

--
+-o-+--------------------------------------------------------+-o-+
| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |

+-o-+--------------------------------------------------------+-o-+

tcsh from command window - no arrow key action?

Post by Swarna Chigullapal » Thu, 11 Aug 1994 04:04:03

Quote:>this is probably an old question, but we haven't found the
>answer in a bit of looking:
>  tcsh arrow keys are not working when run on Sol 2.3
>in an openwindows command shell.  tcsh arrows work when
>logged on remotely (e.g., from Mac using NCSA telnet), so
>it may be just a termcap/terminfo fiddle to fix.  We have
>tried tcsh from various places, recompiled on the Sol 2.3
>system with gcc.

You have to disable scrolling on openwindows to use the arrow facility
in tcsh. Hope this helps.
Swarna

Post by Shane McRober » Sun, 14 Aug 1994 06:18:42

: >this is probably an old question, but we haven't found the
: >answer in a bit of looking:
: >  tcsh arrow keys are not working when run on Sol 2.3
: >in an openwindows command shell.  tcsh arrows work when
: >logged on remotely (e.g., from Mac using NCSA telnet), so
: >it may be just a termcap/terminfo fiddle to fix.  We have
: >tried tcsh from various places, recompiled on the Sol 2.3
: >system with gcc.
: >

: You have to disable scrolling on openwindows to use the arrow facility
: in tcsh. Hope this helps.
: Swarna

An additional note: this is due to a deficiency in Sun's cmdtool.  The
cmdtool simply doesn't have the functionality required except when
scrolling is off (which basically turns a cmdtool into a shelltool).
Bash has the same problem because of this.

Shane
 j.shane.mcroberts |
mitek systems, inc.| We are currently experiencing technical difficulties that
                   | prevent replies to this posting.  Please send mail to

1. hpterm arrow keys not working in tcsh

The arrow keys in my hpterm windows simply move the cursor around the
screen without passing any key sequences to the shell.

But, I am using the tcsh to get command line recall and editing that
needs to receive the arrow key sequences.

How do I configure the hpterm application to pass not interpret the
arrow keys but pass the sequences on to the tcsh.

David Bryant

2. Apache Method not implemented (POST)

3. tcsh: up/down arrow keys

4. ECS K7SOM+ (SIS 962) working

5. tcsh, emacs key bindings, SHIFT-arrow possible?

6. Enscript for solaris

7. Arrow key assignments in tcsh

8. ppp/8-bit clean

9. Arrow keys in tcsh

10. Mandrake 6.5 - tcsh & arrow keys

11. TCSH - arrow keys don't work

12. Arrow keys bindings in tcsh after using vi

13. Arrow keys in hpterm (tcsh 6.03)?