RPC Quo Vadis? (SunOS <-> Solaris)

Post by Gutorm Thomas Hogas » Sat, 04 Jun 1994 21:12:29

I have been porting some code from SunOS 4.1.3 to Solaris 2.3, and
I have removed most bsd'ish calls. However I have not been able
to avoid /usr/ucblib completly due to a large amount of RPC calls.

The problem is that some of the 'new' rpc-calls do not exist on hpux
or aix (or SunOS 4.1.3). Furthermore, from what I've read, Sun does
not plan to support DCE-RPC even after joining OSF.

How should one write code using RPC to be as portable as possible?
For the moment, I link with the ucblib stuff: The unavailability of
new calls on others platforms and my dislike of conditional compiling
gives me little choice.

I've not seen anything about this is the Solaris FAQ's, but maybe
there is a RPC faq somewhere?

Anyone with expert information on RPC's?

--
Gutorm H?g?sen, Norwegian Telecom, Postboks 6701, St. Olavs pl. N-0130 OSLO
Tel     : +47 22 77 27 70,  Fax : +47 22 77 28 30.

X.400   : G=Gutorm/S=Hogasen/OU=ti-oslo/O=televerket/PRMD=tele/ADMD=telemax/C=no