DHCP client on Solaris2.5.1

Post by Lee Wu-Cha » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Is there any way to use DHCP client on my SS20(Solaris 2.5.1)?
Owing to the poor performance of my old ss20 machine with Solaris7,
I changed OS to Solaris 2.5.1. It works fine and everything goes well except
this version of Solaris doesn't have DHCP client by default...
How can I make my SS20 be DHCP client? Is there anyother SW for
DHCP client?
Please let me know the way to use DHCP.
Thanks in advance.

DHCP client on Solaris2.5.1

Post by brucemohle » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Is there any way to use DHCP client on my SS20(Solaris 2.5.1)?
> Owing to the poor performance of my old ss20 machine with Solaris7,
> I changed OS to Solaris 2.5.1. It works fine and everything goes well except
> this version of Solaris doesn't have DHCP client by default...
> How can I make my SS20 be DHCP client? Is there anyother SW for
> DHCP client?
> Please let me know the way to use DHCP.
> Thanks in advance.

You might check the DHCP client software at http://www.isc.org/.

I have not needed to use it on my Solaris 2.6 and 7 boxes, but did need to
replace the DHCP client software on my Linux boxes and it dropped in
and worked right away.  Note that our company seems to be using the
ISC DHCP server (v2) software, so that helps.

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Mohler                858-826-2675 (voice)
SAIC/ITS/Server Support        858-826-7806 (fax)

Of course my password is the same as my pet's name.
My dog's name is bur4$rut, but I change it every 90 days.

1. RH 5.1 flawless ftp-dhcp install; dhcp config retained; dhcp fails @ boot

DHCP fails to configure a network connection, even after it worked
wonderfully for an ftp install of RH 5.1 and I retained the network
configuration during the install process.  The relevant message on the
console during bootup is: DHCP ... failed.  The only message in
/var/log/messages that appears to be relevant is "no DHCPOFFER".
/sbin/ifconfig lists nothing for eth0.

A number of modules relevant to DHCP are loaded. I assume that all
necessary modules have been loaded.  The eithernet card also appears
to be correctly recognized.

I've read but not yet tried the Red Hat hacks listed in the DHCPcd
mini-HOWTO.  Has anyone successfully used these on RH 5.1?

Thanks,
Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

2. open inventor problems

3. Solaris2.6 TCP/IP faces Solaris2.5.1.

4. NIS (yp) compatibility question

5. Losing space from Solaris2.4 to Solaris2.5.1?

6. [Fwd: Off the fence finally! Win95 user with ? on Redhat5.0 dual install]

7. Does anyone have ssh binaries for Solaris2.5.1 or Solaris2.6?

8. Howdoya bind ^D to 'exit'?

9. DNS search between Solaris2.5.1 and Solaris2.6

10. Solaris2.3 - Solaris2.5.1 captive accounts

11. Help: DHCP client for ADSL connection for Redhat 5.0 or 5.1

12. dhcp on RedHat 5.1 and dhcp relay agent on NT 4.0

13. DHCP client doesn't work on Solaris2.7