Networker: How to limit access permission for NT-Clients ?

Networker: How to limit access permission for NT-Clients ?

Post by Nele Pauls » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

has anybody experience  with password protection for Networker Clients
( Solstice Backup)  ?

Our problem is:

we make scheduled backups for a handfull of NT-Clients.
Our server is hosted on a Solaris machine.
One of the Client is hosting personal data from the stuff and so we
have to ensure that for recovering of data should be a special access
permission. The problem is, even if you have not permitted the access
for any remote users, you  can take another PC, give it the same
DNS-Name and restore the data.
We tried to protect the data from the Client side, changing the Local
Directive. But it doesn't work in the expected manner. We choosed a
password on the PC, started an scheduled backup, changed the password
on the PC an tried to restore the data. And much to our regret it
worked fine. We'd expected, to be asked for the old password, which
was present during backup ?!

Any advices our hints ?

TIA,

Nele

1. NT nfs client, NT xwindows client?

Hi,

I have a port to do of a C++ project from NT to Linux. I just installed
RH5.2 (which happens to be lying around here) on a i86 PC and everything
works fine, GCC is already installed, xwindows (XFree86) starts OK, I can
ftp and telnet from my NT machines etc. I have been impressed that
everything installed so smoothly. I have a couple of questions:

(a) I have a problem using my Belkin Omniview switch. When I switch from my
NT machine to my Linux machine (running X) the mouse screws up on Linux. It
seems to be 'caught' in the top right of the screen. I can solve this my
stopping and restarting X but that's a pain everytime you switch from one
machine to the other. Any ideas? It's an MS PS/2 intellimouse and behaves
fine with X until I switch to the NT machine and back.

(b) Does anyone have recommendations for lowish cost NT-based nfs and
xwindows clients?

Regards

Alan Ambrose

2. Low level format

3. AFPS - permissions in NT (Windows) Client

4. qsort bug

5. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

6. Linux and UDMA hard drive

7. NIS question (2): limit access from NIS-client pc

8. separator containing spaces

9. Samba on F'BSD 2.2.6; NT Server+SP6 clients; printer access denied

10. internet access through a linux server to an nt client?

11. Samba: How to limit access to 1 PC or limited timeframe?

12. Is Legato Networker good for unix backups to NT machine?

13. Can't get NCSA access.conf to limit access correctly