Tip (serial port) stopped working on Netra

Tip (serial port) stopped working on Netra

Post by Olaf » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 00:54:20

The serial ports on my Netra T1 (running 5.8) seem dead, they were working,
but they arent now.  I am trying to tip in from another Sun box, and no
dice.  ttymon is running, and just for kicks I rebooted anyway.  Still not
working.  Any advice?

Thanks

olaf

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 03:03:13

>The serial ports on my Netra T1 (running 5.8) seem dead, they were working,
>but they arent now.  I am trying to tip in from another Sun box, and no
>dice.  ttymon is running, and just for kicks I rebooted anyway.  Still not
>working.  Any advice?

Which of the Netra's ports do you have the cable connected to?
What kind of cable and adapters are you using between the two Suns?

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Tip (serial port) stopped working on Netra

Post by Olaf » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 06:35:17

I've tried both ports A and B, neither work.

One machine (acting as a console server) is actually connected to a
Digi-Box, which in turn is connected the the Netra T1.  It has a valid
entry in /etc/remote.

olaf

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 07:33:39

>I've tried both ports A and B, neither work.

Only the A port is guaranteed to work (unless the OBP input-device
and output-device have been changed).  The B port won't work unless
you've turned on a login service that will log people in.  The default
only initializes the port - no login prompt.

Quote:

>One machine (acting as a console server) is actually connected to a
>Digi-Box, which in turn is connected the the Netra T1.  It has a valid
>entry in /etc/remote.

That's great.  Now, how about the cable?

  -Greg