Solaris 10 and xAPPS

Post by Chris » Sat, 27 May 2006 02:21:29

Realizing that Open Windows is slowly being removed from the Solaris
road-map, but does anyone know why Some useful tools like, xkill,
xclock, and clock were removed from the /usr/openwin/bin directory on
Solaris 10?  (Sparc)

It's no big deal to copy them over from Solaris 9, they still work, but
I was just wondering.

They still have a place in the environment.

Thanks,

Solaris 10 and xAPPS

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 27 May 2006 05:32:41

> Realizing that Open Windows is slowly being removed from the Solaris
> road-map, but does anyone know why Some useful tools like, xkill,
> xclock, and clock were removed from the /usr/openwin/bin directory on
> Solaris 10?  (Sparc)

# cd /usr/openwin/bin
# ls *clock* *kill*
oclock  xclock  xkill
# uname -rp
5.10 sparc

Solaris 10 FCS?  Solaris Express?

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

Solaris 10 and xAPPS

Post by Chris » Sat, 27 May 2006 05:39:49

That's interesting.  I've noticed this on both Release one and Update 1
for the Sparc based Solaris 10 FCS.  I'm just doing a normal straight
install from CD too.  Wow.

Solaris 10 and xAPPS

Post by Robert Lawhea » Sat, 27 May 2006 05:57:36

>> Realizing that Open Windows is slowly being removed from the Solaris
>> road-map, but does anyone know why Some useful tools like, xkill,
>> xclock, and clock were removed from the /usr/openwin/bin directory on
>> Solaris 10?  (Sparc)

> # cd /usr/openwin/bin
> # ls *clock* *kill*
> oclock  xclock  xkill
> # uname -rp
> 5.10 sparc

> Solaris 10 FCS?  Solaris Express?

It looks like the apps mentioned are in an optional package "SUNWxwopt".
Are other components of this package installed on systems where these
apps are missing?

% uname -prv
5.11 snv_36 sparc

% ls /usr/openwin/bin/{*clock*,*kill*}
/usr/openwin/bin/oclock  /usr/openwin/bin/xclock  /usr/openwin/bin/xkill

% grep bin/oclock $contents
/usr/openwin/bin/oclock f none 0755 root bin 25068 58352 1142876133 SUNWxwopt

% pkginfo -l SUNWxwopt
   PKGINST:  SUNWxwopt
      NAME:  X Window System Optional Clients
  CATEGORY:  system
      ARCH:  sparc
   VERSION:  6.6.3.3600,REV=0.2006.03.09
   BASEDIR:  /usr
    VENDOR:  Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      DESC:  X Window System Optional Clients
    PSTAMP:  x11s20060309153959
  INSTDATE:  May 06 2006 17:04
   HOTLINE:  Please contact your local service provider
    STATUS:  completely installed
     FILES:       68 installed pathnames
                   6 shared pathnames
                   7 directories

Solaris 10 and xAPPS

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Sat, 27 May 2006 09:07:18

|Realizing that Open Windows is slowly being removed from the Solaris
|road-map, but does anyone know why Some useful tools like, xkill,
|xclock, and clock were removed from the /usr/openwin/bin directory on
|Solaris 10?  (Sparc)

clock died with OpenWindows after Solaris 8, but xkill and xclock are
here to stay and are included in Solaris 10.  They are in the "optional"
clients package (SUNWxwopt) so may not be installed if you did less than
a full install or removed packages along the way.

--

  http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ *  http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/
   http://del.icio.us/alanc/  *  http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/

Solaris 10 and xAPPS

Post by Chris » Sat, 27 May 2006 13:17:00

Thanks for the help guys.  I'll check, but I KNOW I installed
everything with OEM option on Solaris 10.

Knowning me "somehow" I'm overlooking something.

Take care,

1. Jumpstart solaris 10 b69 and solaris 10 b72 on an Ultra 30

I am trying to jumpstart a Sun Ultra 30 using Solaris 10 b69
(b72 gives the same results) from a Linux jumpstart server.

I have scripts for all this (soon to be release opensource!) but
..although I can get b55, beta5(b60) and b63  and b55 to work
b63 and b72 do not work!

since this is an Ultra 30 I went to

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Boot_PROM/BootPROM_Sun4u...
and ran Patch 105930-06 with no problems.

Even now it does not boot.

- bpgetfile shows all parameters can be retreived ok.
- nfs mounts all work
- pfinstall shows the profile is ok
- I've checked the rules file and it is fine.
- The /tftpboot directory is setup correctly with the right inetboot file.

reset
boot net - install
I can see the tftp transfer clock up ok to 38600
The linux server shows the correct mount of the root= directory.

Normally the kernel banner should appear next but instead I get
loads of messages

not found: vmem_create
not found: vmem_alloc
not found: cv_signal
not found: wake_sched_sec
not found: physmax
not found: putreg
not found: fp_precise
not found: ddi_prop_lookup_init_array
not found: sema_v
not found: traceregs
not found: psignal
not found: strcmp
not found: fop_putpage
not found: strcmp
not found: global_zone
not found: fastscan

etc.. and eventually

krtld:error during initial load/link phase
panic - boot:exitto64 returned from client program

and I'm back at the ok prompt

1. From the book "Solaris Internals: Core Kernel Architecture" using

/usr/ccs/bin/dump -Lv /platform/sun4u/kernel/sparcv9/unix

mentions the line NEEDED..dtracestubs

but I cannot find dtracestubs under that /platform directory.
Is this a problem?

2. nm on things seems to indicate the missing symbols are in genunix
but I'm not sure how to debug what is going on??

3. eeprom | grep boot-file give
boot-file: data not available so I assume a 64-bit boot should occur.

On the net I've seen add set moddebug to /etc/system but the
Solaris Internals boot indicates that /etc/system is read AFTER
krtld does an inital link.

I'm totally stumped why this will not work...Any ideas?

2. Mouse troubles in RH9

3. Live upgrade failure: Solaris 10 -> Solaris 10 update 1.

4. PCMCIA Cdrom drive?

5. lsof 4.70D for Solaris 10 [was Re: Lsof on Solaris 10 x86?]

6. (HELP) SCSI transport failed:reason 'timeou

7. Solaris 10 -- Where to get gcc (or other compiler) built on Solaris 10?

9. L 10 10 10 10...

10. Solaris 10 (build 63) upgrade fails on Solaris 8 as well as Solaris 9 sparcs

11. Oracle 10 (RAC) & Solaris 10 & Sun Cluster 3

12. Ultra-10 / SUN Pengiun / Solaris 10

13. fwbuilder 2.0.10 for solaris 10 available