Help changing boot disk for Solaris x86

Post by K. M. Sheeha » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have a Solaris x86 2.4 system with an 810 MB IDE disk.

Here is what I am trying to do:

1. Install a 2.9 GB SCSI disk on my Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller.
2. Partition it cylinders 0-959 for DOS, and 960-2736 for Solaris,
   (keeping cylinder 960 for the boot and 961-1016 for /)
3. ufsdump the filesystems from the IDE to the SCSI.
4. installboot to create the boot record on the SCSI
5. Remove the IDE and "Dual-Boot" DOS and Solaris.

Here is what has happened:

1. The DOS partition is working.
2. The Solaris partition is created (ufsdump and installboot)
   (the /etc/vfstab needed mods from c0d0s0 to c0t0d0s0 etc.)
3. The solaris boot partition menu selection starts.
4. I have tried three things to get the Solaris partition to work:
   1. Run Solaris format, ufsdump, and installboot
      error = Not a UFS Filesystem
   2. Boot from CDROM, Install core system support, reboot before
      ufsdump
      error = cannot load (kd)?
   3. Perform ufsdump on above core system support to copy files
      error = boot: source: cannot load (/etc/bootrc)

Each time I try this, I use BIOS to enable and disable the Hard Disk
(IDE).

One other really annoying problem is I can only get the distribution
boot floppies (or DU8) to boot if I have my IDE drive configured. If I
disable it and remove the IDE controller, I get MDBexec Load error and
the floppy boot halts.

Any help? Is moving from IDE to SCSI causing some of my headaches?

Thanks.

Help changing boot disk for Solaris x86

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Sun, 21 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>1. Install a 2.9 GB SCSI disk on my Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller.
>2. Partition it cylinders 0-959 for DOS, and 960-2736 for Solaris,
>   (keeping cylinder 960 for the boot and 961-1016 for /)
>3. ufsdump the filesystems from the IDE to the SCSI.
>4. installboot to create the boot record on the SCSI

You also need to modify the boot-path property set in /etc/bootrc, and
the instance records in /etc/path_to_inst, and create the file called
/reconfigure on your new root filesystem.  The IDE and 1542 each only
have a single possible configuration so I think you only need to change

Quote:>One other really annoying problem is I can only get the distribution
>boot floppies (or DU8) to boot if I have my IDE drive configured. If I
>disable it and remove the IDE controller, I get MDBexec Load error and
>the floppy boot halts.

You have to type the boot drive number: 10 (assuming the adaptec is your
only SCSI adapter).  Also, some motherboard BIOSes won't fully disable
an embedded IDE controller.

BA

1. Starts x86 boot from AHA2940UW disk then says no boot disk

I replaced an AHA1542 card with an AHA2940UW card in a pc.

During boot, the pc loads the master boot record (MBR) from SCSI
disk 0, it in turn starts the Solaris boot process, which
then falls into auto configuration because Solaris can not
find bootable disk.

I suspect that Solaris places /devices/*isa* info into the
MBR and somehow I need to replace that info with /devices/*pci*
to recognize the new card.

I'll probably temporarily install both cards and connect
disk 0 to the AHA2940UW. That way, I bet Solaris will find /devices/*isa*
and become happy enough to continue the boot. Then a "b -r" should
install the necessary /devices/*pci*, after which, I should be able
to remove the AHA1542. One more "b -r" and the AHA1542 should be
history.

If you've fought this battle before your successful solution is
appreciated.

2. Using 64-bit counters for traffic accounting in net-snmp

3. Need your help to change default boot disk on Solaris Thanks !!

4. Here's an interesting problem

5. x86: Boot disk change

6. Sound from a SBPCD2 kernel...

7. Solaris 10 x86 : How to change/add files in the boot archive for maintenance mode

8. How to build Rhide 1.4.7 ?

9. Solaris 10 SVM fails to boot from mirrored disk on 2 disk system; need help!

10. Booting Solaris x86 after changing SCSI cards???

11. changing boot SCSI controller on Solaris 7/x86

12. How to make a boot disk for Solaris x86 ?

13. NEED x86 SOLARIS 2.4 BOOT DISKS>>>