newbie: is sunOS=Solaris?

Post by johnny » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I often see packages for sunOS. i downloaded one and tried it on solaris
7. it works. is sunOS just another name for solaris???

ali

newbie: is sunOS=Solaris?

Post by Barry Margoli » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I often see packages for sunOS. i downloaded one and tried it on solaris
>7. it works. is sunOS just another name for solaris???

We just answered someone else about this last week.  Go to deja.com and
search for recent messages with "SunOS" in the Subject and read them for
some detailed explanations of the distinctions between these two terms.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

newbie: is sunOS=Solaris?

Post by Chris Thomps » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>>I often see packages for sunOS. i downloaded one and tried it on solaris
>>7. it works. is sunOS just another name for solaris???

>We just answered someone else about this last week.

And the week before that, and the one before that, ad infinitum...

Quote:>                                                     Go to deja.com and
>search for recent messages with "SunOS" in the Subject and read them for
>some detailed explanations of the distinctions between these two terms.

Or read the FAQ, <http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/>, items
1.1 and (for more detail) 1.5.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk