Big disks

Post by Frederic Gouda » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I would like to know if the usual 10% free space on file sytems is still a
good value for big partitions like 9Go or more ?  I just imagine that this
10% is a really bigger than most of the file I manipulate (this is
false with small fs).

Just wondering.

f.g.

P.S. I can't test for now as we do not have bought such disks for now.

--
  FiLH photography. A taste of freedom in a conventional world.
          New web site address http://www.i-france.com/filh

 FAQ frp : http://www.enserb.u-bordeaux.fr/~goudal/frp/faq.html

Big disks

Post by Andrew Welha » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

From what i hear sun are dropping the 10% to a much lower figure i think 1%
mainly due to the large disks.
If disks get very fill i have noticed a slow down in performance, if the root
disk fills up then.......

Andy

Post by Frederic Gouda » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> From what i hear sun are dropping the 10% to a much lower figure i think 1%
> mainly due to the large disks.

I thought the 1% value was a bug : when you give the free space percentage the
1/x was considered insterad of x, so 1 was the only usable value..

--
  FiLH photography. A taste of freedom in a conventional world.
          New web site address http://www.i-france.com/filh

 FAQ frp : http://www.enserb.u-bordeaux.fr/~goudal/frp/faq.html

1. big disk problems - or: big-disk problems?

Hi there!

I have really big problems. I try to set up a 45 GB Western Digital
Caviar 450AA (secondary IDE controller, master-drive). I patched my
machine with the recommended patch cluster which also contains patch no.
110202-01 for the ata-drivers. I am able to fdisk the drive with a
geometry file using fdisk with options. I am also able to partition the
disk with the native solaris 8 x86 format tool. I label the disk - fine
so far. But when I try to build a filesystem on it, newfs terminates wih
errors. I afterwards tried to set up a scsi-disk with 4,1 GB (IBM DCAS
34330). The same problem occured: newfs (as well as mkfs with options)
terminated with the following error message:

mkfs: bad value for size: 0 must be between 1024 and 0
mkfs: size reset to default 0
mkfs: bad value for ntrack: 6 must be between 1 and 0
mkfs: ntrack reset to default 16
seek error on sector -1: invalid argument

That's pretty strange, isn't it? I don't know wheter Solaris x86 is that
different from Solaris SPARC edition. Perhaps I'm too dumb to get this
machine working and should put my fingers off Solaris x86 edition.

Could anybody in this world help me? Or has anybody the same problems?
You know - it's just for my collegues: they are now calling me brad...

Greetings

SERGEJ

2. su in a script

3. Big Mystery: LBA for big disk drive?

4. Conflict betwee XS3 and ttyS3

5. 4 physical disks to the one big disk

6. Where can I get xwpe 1.4.1 ?

7. Can I Use a big disk to replace a failed disk in VM

8. lseek question

9. Lots of inodes on a big disk on SVR4

10. Linux installation on big disks(730M)

11. Innd and big disks

12. Big disks?

13. FDISK problem with big disc?