How to setup and use T2 (Alternate Thread Library) in Solaris 8

How to setup and use T2 (Alternate Thread Library) in Solaris 8

Post by underh2 » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 03:25:28

Hello,

We are running Solaris 8 with kernel level 117350-25 with Veritas 3.5
MP3 and Oracle 10g. Our application needs to be upgraded to the next
release.  The vendor is recommending us to go to Solaris 9 for its
default T2(alternate thread library) availabiliy.  Unfortunately, due
to time constraint, we could not upgrade our OS to 9 at this time.  As
a result, they are recommending us to use T2 (alternate thread
library), instead of the default thread library in Solaris 8 for this
new application release.

In order to use the T2 library i.e., /usr/lib/lwp/libthread.so.1, I've
been instructed to include the following environment variable in the
application owner's login profile :

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp

LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/usr/lib/lwp/64

Are there any other Solaris 8 T2 alternate thread library setups I need
to do for our new application release ??   How do you verify that the
T2 is being used correctly in Solaris 8 ??  And if there is any problem
/ issue to our other software e.g., any impact to software like
Veritas, Oracle ??

Thanks for your help,

Bill

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 03:45:23

>We are running Solaris 8 with kernel level 117350-25 with Veritas 3.5
>MP3 and Oracle 10g. Our application needs to be upgraded to the next
>release.  The vendor is recommending us to go to Solaris 9 for its
>default T2(alternate thread library) availabiliy.  Unfortunately, due
>to time constraint, we could not upgrade our OS to 9 at this time.  As
>a result, they are recommending us to use T2 (alternate thread
>library), instead of the default thread library in Solaris 8 for this
>new application release.

Make sure you install the libthread patches also.

Quote:>In order to use the T2 library i.e., /usr/lib/lwp/libthread.so.1, I've
>been instructed to include the following environment variable in the
>application owner's login profile :
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/usr/lib/lwp/64

See crle(1) for alternate ways.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

How to setup and use T2 (Alternate Thread Library) in Solaris 8

Post by Fran Hora » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 05:08:42

Quote:> Hello,

> We are running Solaris 8 with kernel level 117350-25 with Veritas 3.5
> MP3 and Oracle 10g. Our application needs to be upgraded to the next
> release.  The vendor is recommending us to go to Solaris 9 for its
> default T2(alternate thread library) availabiliy.  Unfortunately, due
> to time constraint, we could not upgrade our OS to 9 at this time.  As
> a result, they are recommending us to use T2 (alternate thread
> library), instead of the default thread library in Solaris 8 for this
> new application release.

> In order to use the T2 library i.e., /usr/lib/lwp/libthread.so.1, I've
> been instructed to include the following environment variable in the
> application owner's login profile :

> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp

> LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/usr/lib/lwp/64

> Are there any other Solaris 8 T2 alternate thread library setups I need
> to do for our new application release ??   How do you verify that the
> T2 is being used correctly in Solaris 8 ??  And if there is any problem
> / issue to our other software e.g., any impact to software like
> Veritas, Oracle ??

> Thanks for your help,

> Bill

I use 'pldd' on my running apps to verify they really are linked with the T2
threads library. Check out these links for more T2 info:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_frm/thread/cc...

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/alt_thread_lib.html

http://www.itworld.com/AppDev/1170/swol-1218-insidesolaris/

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-3324/6m9k4vdpj?q=alternate&a=view