Installing gzip on Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Dana » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have tried downloading the precompiled binaries and installing gzip for
Solaris 2.5.1 on a Sun Sparc 5 at work.  I can run 'configure' ok, and it
creates 'Makefile', but It doesn't install the program.
Anyone have experience loading gzip? or other freeware?

Post by Greg Sawic » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I have tried downloading the precompiled binaries and installing gzip for
>Solaris 2.5.1 on a Sun Sparc 5 at work.  I can run 'configure' ok, and it
>creates 'Makefile', but It doesn't install the program.
>Anyone have experience loading gzip? or other freeware?

get gzip in SUN package format from www.sunfreeware.com and install
using standard pkgadd tool.

/gs

1. Installing Freeware (gzip) on Solaris 2.6

I am fairly new to Solaris Admin and am having a problem.
I downloaded gzip-1.2.4 from www.solarisfreeware.com and
have transferred the file via floppy (successfully) to
my Sparc 5.  When I try and run the script I get a few
error messages and the gzip program will not install.
The program is a pre-compiled program that resides in
the /opt/FSFgzip directory (I had to create the FSFgzip)
directory.  However, it just won't install.  Can someone
provide me a little help on this one as there is no
documentation on how to install this thing.

- I did open the file and looked at the remarks for
the script - and followed them.  But to no avail.

Any info would be helpful - thanks

Bryan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ewrks 3 issues

3. Q: newb: how to install gzip on Solaris

4. fetchmail

5. Installing gzip and GCC in Intel Solaris

6. WD8003 probs...

7. Installing Gzip - C compiler - Solaris 2.5.1 11/97

8. linux and AS/400 os

9. gzip: *.tgz: not in gzip format error?

10. Which is better: tar->gzip or gzip->tar?

11. apt-get through proxy: "gzip: stdin: not in gzip format"

12. gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

13. Which is better: tar->gzip or gzip->tar?