How to share read-only to one client and read-write to all others?

How to share read-only to one client and read-write to all others?

Post by fireballfre.. » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Here is my problem:

I share a directory via NFS using this command:

  share -o ro=host.domain.com,rw /dir

The NFS server is using only DNS so I am fairly sure the
fully qualified name is required.  I mount the directory
on the specified client and it is given read-write privs.
It looks like it is ignoring the ro= and giving the host
the max permissions.  Note that if I get rid of the read-
write, as such:

  share -o ro=host.domain.com /dir

then the client can mount the directory and it is read-
only.  Of course, then nobody else can mount it.

So how do I share read-only to one host yet let everyone
else mount it read-write?  This is simply a technical
question... my reasons are unimportant and I am not for
alternatives to NFS.

  FF

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Andy » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Here is my problem:

> I share a directory via NFS using this command:

>   share -o ro=host.domain.com,rw /dir

> The NFS server is using only DNS so I am fairly sure the
> fully qualified name is required.  I mount the directory
> on the specified client and it is given read-write privs.
> It looks like it is ignoring the ro= and giving the host
> the max permissions.  Note that if I get rid of the read-
> write, as such:

>   share -o ro=host.domain.com /dir

> then the client can mount the directory and it is read-
> only.  Of course, then nobody else can mount it.

> So how do I share read-only to one host yet let everyone
> else mount it read-write?  This is simply a technical
> question... my reasons are unimportant and I am not for
> alternatives to NFS.

swap the options:
share -F nfs -o rw,ro=host.domain.com "shared" /dir

--
-Andy M
http://synecdoche.net/~andy