Sol 7 x86 DLT-4000 bug

Post by Steve Clif » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hit a snag writing 64k records to a DLT-4000 through an Adaptec 2940UW
(if that's relevant):

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rmt/0bn bs=64k count=10

works fine, but

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rmt/0bn bs=64k count=100

fails reliably at the end with an I/O error. The system log says the
write-filemarks command was aborted. It looks like the timeout for
writing the EOFs is too short for the time it takes for the drive to
flush its cache and write the filemarks. Funny thing is, I can only get
this to happen with 64k records. I tried a few other sizes up to 128k
with no problems. Scanned the st driver for likely looking timeout
setting option strings, but didn't see anything obvious

So, what to do? I have a requirement to write tapes with 64k records.

-Steve