Sunos->Solaris migrate & external scsi drive

Sunos->Solaris migrate & external scsi drive

Post by Robbie Gate » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,
  recently, i upgraded a sparc ipx from sunos 4.1.3 to solaris 2.4.
we also have an external Quantum 2GB scsi drive.  the solaris system
seems very flakey on communicating with the drive.  am i correct
in understanding i should run drvconfig, disks and then be able to
mount the external drive, or is there more to it than this ?
symptoms include:
 * directories start to go missing
        ls -al reports ./foo : I/O Error
 * format can't see the external drive
 * fsck/mount can't access the device

the drive hasn't been reformatted under solaris, and i'm hoping
this is not needed.  after the initial install, all went well for
about 3 days, but recently it has decided to go down every few hours.
the only changes made about the time the problems started were to
start cern httpd (binary on internal drive, web area on external
drive) and do lots of makes on the external drive, which are symlinked
to from /usr/local/bin on the internal drive.

 any help would be most appreciated, i'm completely at a loss to
figure this out.

replies by email please, thanks in advance for any help,
 - robbie
      robbie gates      |
  apprentice algebraist |    http://cat.maths.usyd.edu.au/~robbie
    pgp key available   |

1. >>>SCSI cdrom & Zip drive slow <<<

Hi,

I have a substantially slower throughput with my Plextor 8x & Iomega Zip100
with Adaptec 2940UW when using linux than with using Windows95.

e.g.  copy a file (5mb) from zip to hdd under 95 is about 10sec.
      vs 1min under linux!!

Is there something that I have to adjust or is slow because of moving files
accross filesystems.

Please help

Lawrence

2. UML - part 1 of 3

3. Migrating user information from SunOS 4 to Solaris 2.3 (SunOS 5.3

4. Differences between Sun Storedge T3 and T3+

5. *&& << 1GB >> Flash Memory Drive (&(*

6. Alliance promotion

7. 2.5.4, cs46xx snd, and virt_to_bus

8. Gnome-session->mount CDROM->migrate to tar.gz & .dsc files, then what??

9. 2>&1 |tee && 2>&1 >out

10. Solaris 9 Newbie: External SCSI Tape Drive Setup

11. Please help : Getting a PLASMON 4240 SCSI CDR external drive to run on SOLARIS ??!?!?

12. SUNOS 4.1.3 & > 4 Hard Drives?