Solaris 1 partitions on Solaris 2

Post by Chris Claus » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello -

Can you mount a Solaris 1 partition on a Solaris 2 box.  Here is the
point...
I want to upgrade an old OS to Solaris 2.5.1.  The old OS has additional
drives with data.  I can run the upgrade on the boot drive, but I am unsure
that I will be able to mount the other Solaris drives from 2.5.1.

Since I am pressed for time on performing this switch, I need to know if I
have to do a full backup on the data drives, reformat them, and restore.

Thanks!
Chris Clauss

Post by Maveric » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hello -

> Can you mount a Solaris 1 partition on a Solaris 2 box.  Here is the
> point...

yes.  i've got a box setup for dual boot - suOS 4.1.4 and sunOS 5.5.
i keep the common files on the one partition, and it is accessible by
both.

good luck!
yash

Post by Jose Luis Martinez Salina » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

> Can you mount a Solaris 1 partition on a Solaris 2 box.  Here is the
> point...

  Yes you can.

Quote:> I want to upgrade an old OS to Solaris 2.5.1.  The old OS has additional
> drives with data.  I can run the upgrade on the boot drive, but I am
unsure
> that I will be able to mount the other Solaris drives from 2.5.1.

  Don't worry, the only thing that will change is the name of your
partitions (you will realize that during the installation).

Quote:

> Since I am pressed for time on performing this switch, I need to know if
> have to do a full backup on the data drives, reformat them, and restore.

   Reformat! No, reformat is only necessary in emergencies; is a good
oportunity to remake the filesystems in your disks (if they were done with
the default values you could adjust several parameters of your file
systems)  and make backups if you don't have recent ones.

Regards.

1. Solaris 2.5/x86 and non-Solaris fdisk partitions

Hi,
Does anyone know if the Solaris 2.5/x86 disk driver can be put into a mode
where it addresses disks by real sector number, instead of mapping the start
of the Solaris fdisk partition to sector #0?  For testing software on various
platforms, I have a system with several fdisk partitions and a different OS
on each partition.  The Solaris partition doesn't really have enough spare
disk space, so I want to use the fmthard command (or equivalent) to point
an unused VTOC entry to a spare slice in a different fdisk partition.
Can this be done, and if so, how?  (For comparison, UnixWare does allow this -
prtvtoc/edvtoc use physical disk sector numbers, and can use any offset and
length on the drive.)  Thanks.

2. Kernel Locks

3. Putting Solaris on a partition without trashing my Windows partition.

4. Don't know a correct subject for this

5. Solaris Boot Manager, Want ot make WIN95 partition default boot partition

6. Runing make xconfig

7. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8

8. ADSL

9. FS: SOLARIS 7 SERVER, SOLARIS EASY ACCESS 2.0, SOLARIS 2.6 KIT

10. quota problems between solaris and solaris machines, and solaris and sunos4.1.3 machines.

11. Solaris 10 (build 63) upgrade fails on Solaris 8 as well as Solaris 9 sparcs

12. Solaris to solaris unstable, Solaris to HPUX stable??

13. Creating Partitions on SOlaris 2.51